• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

An Agatha Christie?

amarat

I am trying to remember the title of a mystery novel I read more than 10 years ago. I think it may be a Christie book, set in the '30s, '40's or '50's. There is one part where a man suggests he may strangle a young woman who has found him out as a thief. He puts his hands on her neck and tells her how easily he could kill her without anyone hearing. She only laughs because she enjoys the feel of his hands on her throat. He confused by this reaction because he does not realize that she is in love with him. In the end he is exposed as a thief, but is proved not to be the murderer.

I've been reading every Christie I can get my hands on (and enjoying them immensely), but have not found the right one yet. Could someone narrow my search?

It is indeed a Christie book. It's "Death on the Nile". I'd have to go back to see the names of the characters again, but a woman is murdered and her husband is suspected. In a flashback scene, he admits to Poirot that he was cheating on her with a mistress, but had no reason to kill the wife. He *didn't* kill her, although he's the prime suspect through the whole book. The woman being strangled was the mistress, I believe, although that might have been the maid, who also gets killed. Hmm. It's been awhile. I'd put in the ending, but can't figure out how to do the "spoiler" black out.

Thank you for the suggestion, Cathy. I loved rereading that one; however, I did not read that particular scene in Death on the Nile. I thought it might be the one, with the jewel thief and the young lady who fell in love with him, but I did not read anything about Rosemary actually confronting Tim, just protecting him.

Maybe I read an abridged version? Then again, maybe it wasn't a Christie at all. At that age I read any mystery novel I got my hands on, no matter how old or who the author was. I am still snatching up AC stories like crazy if anyone else has an idea....

Back