• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Moon Children - Solved - Lester del Rey: Prisoners of Space

Occlith

Searching for a children's sci-fi book. I read it more than fifteen years ago and do not remember anything about the author.

Some of the things I remember are that the main characters are human teenagers, boy and girl, the first children to be born and raised on the moon. They discover a creature living in the moon’s craters.

They eventually make a trip to earth, have difficulty adapting to gravity and stay in a hospital during the adjustment period. They become instant celebrities and flowers are delivered to their rooms. Roses are overpowering to their lunar-raised sense of smell.

From the hospital window the boy sees a patch of green about a block or two away and is curious, this is the first time he has seen grass so he sneaks away to the nearby park. He likes the soft feel of the new mown grass but is nauseated from the scent, he gets panicky when he cannot remember the direction of the hospital and he passes out.

:confused: :)

I just re-searched and think I found it. Prisoners of Space - Lester del Rey; this may have actually been written by Paul W. Fairman who worked from a story outline created by del Rey.
The Out of the Cradle Forum has a post with a synopsis. I'm fairly sure this must be it.

I also found this entry on The Internet Speculative Fiction Database.

Back