• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New poll »» Auld Lang Syne

Which is the best option ( or options ) for Revitalizating this forum ??

• A. Re-opening old threads

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • B. Creating new contents

• C. Registering in this forum - en masse - as a new member and never post anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D. We raffled off a trip to Stonehnge+Sparkchasr dressed like Druid appealing for the supernatural

• E. I don't know....I am not reader !!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • F. X^2 + bx + c = 0

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other options ( Please specify )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cosimah2o

I've realised there are hardly a soul in this forum...I can't be impassible in that sense . I would like to know the background of this situation . Although my poll it turns out funny...deep inside, it's a mirage !! :D ---- Short-term, the option D is the most effective !!

Happens to me too, but don't worry cause « the old guard » is still very present !! Thanx for your vote :)

Facebook has destroyed forum activity in general.
But in facebook also read us, even there people recommend this website by our reviews about books . I have proof that it is true . By way of example, People of Italian origin but English-speaking even Italian-speaking recommend a lot my review about Io non ho Paura by Niccolo Ammaniti . We are not so invisible !!

I feel like the odd-man-out, because Facebook has never appealed much to me, even though I agree with Sparky that it seems to have drawn people away from the forums.
Perhaps the management here could poll former members of BAR by email and inquire about why they drifted away, and any suggestions they might offer to make BAR more attractive. Testimonials might be welcome.
( BTW, In view of all their bad publicity lately, Facebook may be getting less attractive /evil grin/)
Perhaps, in some ways, we should become more like the competition in order to compete? So what do they have we don't have? And what do we have they don't have?

I don't know if an email campaign would work. I think it may have been tried in the past with not so stellar results.

I always prefer proper forums over Facebooks for "groups".

I hope you don't come to mind creating a BAR's group in Facebook :eek:. It only would be useful for promoting us as Forum, I doubt that the participation could increase by here . Btw, How many groups about books/author or reading groups are there in FB ?? For each country/state for example, think about 2 digits and then you raise it to the maximum power . I am not exaggerating - apparently - the last statistics about Groups in FB puts at 200 million people are members of meaningful Facebook Groups .

The crux of the matter is the return of those more active members . I agree with Peder, at least we should inquire them by mail . Besides, how they will know that we remembered them if we don't send them anything » modus tollens :D

So what do they have we don't have? And what do we have they don't have?
They have »» the Edgerank algorithm
We have »» For the moment, a quadratic equation in my poll :cool: :p --- Seriously, if we focus on the number of visitors that everyday search our contents, we are ahead of many reading FB's groups . Basically, because we have a vaste archive of read books ( reviewed, discussed, commented on ) and a broad annotated Bibliography ( analytical/ critique approach ) . Many high-end debates in distinct literary genres . If in FB read us and some members recommend this Forum, our « organic reach » is as good as anyone else :buttrock

I really dislike the Facebook groups because there's no goo way to search, track threads, or do multi-level replies. Oh, and the whole inteface blows.

:rofl:buttrock Thank goodness !! it would be like a world turned upside down, you open a BAR's group in FB and all the old & more active members ( nowadays missing ) were posting there !! :rofl

I have a variety of more or less conflicting thoughts. In a lighthearted way, I think there's one thing our membership has a lot of: inertia. By which I mean that it won't be easy to change the situation. I tend to agree with Sparky about polling. Even if there were a high response rate, I think we might well end up finding out all the good reasons people have moved on. I share a yearning to get back to the old days with old friends, but I'm not optimistic about seeing it happen. Life moves on.
So, I tend to wonder why New members have not filled in to replace those no longer here. And so far, one heretical thought is that it is just too much to expect people to actually read books in order to join discussions of them, as I think we tend to do. It seems to be more appealing to join casual conversations elsewhere on any number of other topics, or just to chat. No criticism intended in any direction. Just sayin'.

In a lighthearted way, I think there's one thing our membership has a lot of: inertia. By which I mean that it won't be easy to change the situation. I tend to agree with Sparky about polling. Even if there were a high response rate, I think we might well end up finding out all the good reasons people have moved on. I share a yearning to get back to the old days with old friends, but I'm not optimistic....
We cannot resign ourselves to think that Nothing can be done . We shouldn't settle us for that inasmuch this isn't true ... As very difficult it sounds, we will able to achieve it !!

Last edited:
I forgot the most important, we must trust Sparky (( as carrier pigeon or wandering albatross )) has a great power of persuasion !! We cannot rule out the emails !!

We cannot resign ourselves to think that Nothing can be done . We shouldn't settle us for that inasmuch this isn't true ... As very difficult it sounds, we will able to achieve it !!

I agree that a positive attitude is always an excellent idea.

I also think that giving some thought to possible causes of the problem is a good way toward figuring out possible solutions to try.
. . . after figuring out exactly what problem one is trying to solve.
Loss of old members?
Few new members?
Lack of conversation?
Drift away from book reading?
Low daily volume?
Low hits?

What would The Madmen do?
If this were a business, I can already hear the loud shouting: "Advertise! Advertise!! Advertise!!!"

(Is there a salesman in the crowd? )

Discussion always invited
Peder

Peder, I prefer a thousand times your ironic attitude than your discouragement . Really, it's very motivating !! :)
I also think that giving some thought to possible causes of the problem is a good way toward figuring out possible solutions to try.
. . . after figuring out exactly what problem one is trying to solve.

Loss of old members?
Few new members?
Lack of conversation?
Drift away from book reading?
Low daily volume?
Low hits?

What would The Madmen do?
If this were a business, I can already hear the loud shouting: "Advertise! Advertise!! Advertise!!!"
(Is there a salesman in the crowd? )
The last question, Will we able to solve these problems one after the other or all at the same time ?? 2 engineers + 1 geologist = it's quite tricky !! :D

Peder, I prefer a thousand times your ironic attitude than your discouragement . Really, it's very motivating !! :)

The last question, Will we able to solve these problems one after the other or all at the same time ?? 2 engineers + 1 geologist = it's quite tricky !! :D
Well, I'm glad it was motivational because, however I may sound, I really am trying to be helpful. At root, I guess I just believe one should be clear-eyed before wading in.

There isn't doubt of your good intentions :) Your last metaphor, from my experience wading through streams, i would add : « On foot, is better having a folding trek pole handy than only a barefoot feet » :D
It seems, the first problem/question is already in progress !! :buttrock

Last edited:
Back