• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations please

Occlith

Hello, I would like some reading suggestions for comic books or graphic novels that have been published from 2000 to the present. They can be all-ages or adult titles; any genre, writing or artistic style; a series or one-shot comic.

Please, no titles with superheroes or graphic violence.

I enjoy reading raucous or gentle humor, adventure, surreal and “slice of life” type stories such as these comic titles:
Reid Fleming
Artbabe
Way Out Strips
Duplex Planet
Laundryland
Bone
Stinz
Archer & Armstrong
Balance of Power
Jack’s Luck Runs Out
I like these graphic novels:
The Tale of One Bad Rat
City of Light, City of Dark
The King of Persia.​

Also….Has anyone read “Pablo’s Inferno”? Is this a good series?

I think I found this good comic story called 'Sam' I think. It was about a basset hound and it was funny stuff :p I think its quite old too.

Sorry, all my recommendations pretty much are older stuff, but here goes anyway:

Watchmen by Alan Moore (Film coming soon, if rumours are correct, it does have superheroes [well, masked vigilantes], but you will be missing out on so much if you do not read it.)

Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (possibly the most moving holocaust account I have read, and certainly the most honest)

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki (you HAVE to read this at all costs!)

Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura (Nihilistic-punk stylings in a classic samurai manga - good stuff!)

For "slice of life", you'd be hard pressed to beat the Love and Rockets collection by Los Bros Hernandez.

Kev

Also forgot to mention Peter Bagge - start off with "The Bradleys", then go onto the "Buddy Bradley" books. You can get all of these at Fantagraphics.

Kev

I thank you all for your suggestions.

I had read Maus and some Love and Rockets and The Bradleys (Hate) series, before I posted (good stuff folks). I prefer comic books and graphic novels, not comic strip anthologies.

If you know of any more titles, please post them here.

I suggest two all ages comics: Electric Girl by Michael Brennan - a girl, her dog, and a gremlin.
Amelia Rules! by Jimmy Gownley - a young girl copes with her parents' divorce, with the help of her offbeat friends.
For mature readers: Shutterbug Follies by Jason Little. Bee, a young woman who works as a photo-finishing technician in a one-hour lab, becomes an amateur detective when pictures of a nude corpse are left for processing.

Most manga is good. My personal favorites include: Ranma 1/2, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Model, Sensual Phase, Othello, Hellsing, Witch Hunter Robin, and many many more.

Comics: Tank Girl, Spiderman, Sandman, Batman, X-Men, and many others, but those would be a great start for you. My boyfriend loves Green Lantern, so perhaps you will too. I never read them, but he adores them.

I recommend "Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth" (by Chris Ware) to everyone I meet. It's not manga, not superhero stuff, not cutesy animal tale, not graphically edgy like Love and Rockets, but I can't think of a more satisfying comic book than this. In my opinion, of course.

Most manga is good. My personal favorites include: Ranma 1/2, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Model, Sensual Phase, Othello, Hellsing, Witch Hunter Robin, and many many more.
Thanks. I have read some manga including Nausicaa as suggested by Themistocles but some series tend to go on and on; for any longer series can you suggest "story arcs"? (the volume number from a collected series would be great)

Please, no titles with superheroes
;)

SeoulMan, I looked through Jimmy Corrigan but for some reason didn't read it. I'll have to look it up again.

I enjoyed "Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography".

"...a compelling and meticulous retelling of the charismatic 19th-century Metis leader, regarded by some as a martyr and by others as a treacherous murderer."

I'd recommend Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi and City of Glass, an adaptation of Paul Auster's story from the New York Trilogy.

I recently purchased Persepolis, I just have to get around to reading it. :) I'll check on City of Glass. Thanks NTD

Back