• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

September 2009: Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

Discussion is open.I am 50 pages in and liking it.Realizing who the narrator is made it more interesting.

i just uploaded the preview onto my kindle and i'm about to get into it... unfortunately i love having a little bit of an idea of what the book it about and amazon didnt have a good description so i may go searching for a minute before i jump offline... even a genre would help haha

i just uploaded the preview onto my kindle and i'm about to get into it... unfortunately i love having a little bit of an idea of what the book it about and amazon didnt have a good description so i may go searching for a minute before i jump offline... even a genre would help haha

The Book Thief

This is one book that has grabbed me from the very first words.

I already mentioned my thoughts on the book in another thread. I stopped reading when I had only a third left. I don't like it because it's not intellectually stimulating for me. I feel it's a book for younger readers - more suitable for early to mid teens. There's no philosophising, social or political commentary, or explorations into the human psychology. And that's a little strange, considering the setting. To me it's just a story about a bunch of stuff that happens in the lives of this family. Not much more.

I read this while back and I still recommend this book my fellow bibliophiles.

I thought there were some social and political issues dealt within the the book when these Germans weren't obeying the Furor's policies. Instead they were hiding the very filth they believed to be the cause of their economic troubles. And the drawings they did down in the cellar and how Liesel wanted to help the cold and dying man, brought out my commiserating feelings toward the sick man. It was a point view that was taken from a side that we don't hardly conjure in our mind, especially when most people detest Nazis.

The ending - where the girl is ready. And how she welcomes it - it is moving.

I read this while back and I still recommend this book my fellow bibliophiles.

I thought there were some social and political issues dealt within the the book when these Germans weren't obeying the Furor's policies. Instead they were hiding the very filth they believed to be the cause of their economic troubles. And the drawings they did down in the cellar and how Liesel wanted to help the cold and dying man, brought out my commiserating feelings toward the sick man. It was a point view that was taken from a side that we don't hardly conjure in our mind, especially when most people detest Nazis.

The ending - where the girl is ready. And how she welcomes it - it is moving.

I agree,it is a great book.I haven't had time to write my thoughts down but I think it does deal with compassion,fear,understanding,sadness,political issues, humor and so much more.

I accept with information:There's no philosophising, social or political commentary, or explorations into the human psychology.

Yes, I finally started reading this book. One can find interesting titles on the used shelves at a bookshop. I am eighty some pages into it and have to say that I've enjoyed it a great deal. I can't wait to see how things progress from here in the story.

I read it a few years ago and remember enjoying it. It made me a little more sympathetic about the behavior ordinary of German civilians.

Now that I finished reading it, I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot. It was quite sad on many instances, but it was still well worth the read. Definitely a keeper. I particularly liked how Death seen everything in colors.

Read it about a year ago. I got something else from the book than I had expected, considering the view of the cover and the first few pages. Nice and simple story telling but I didn't find it much interesting and had a hard time comprehending some parts and their relevance to the novel.

I thought this was one of the most incredibly moving books I've ever read, and I'm generally very critical of hyped books. A few of the scenes nearly brought me to tears. :sad: The format was entirely unique and very fresh. Just a complete joy all around to read this.

Back