• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

ما هو افضل كتاب قراته بالعربية ؟

BulldozerGirl

بالنسبة لي، فهو القرآن بالطبع.. ولكن غير الكتب الدينية، فقصة عمر بن عبدالعزيز كانت ممتعة.. هل لدى اي عضو عربي اي اقتراح لكتاب او موقع للكتب العربية على الشبكة؟

BulldozerGirl said:
بالنسبة لي، فهو القرآن بالطبع.. ولكن غير الكتب الدينية، فقصة عمر بن عبدالعزيز كانت ممتعة.. هل لدى اي عضو عربي اي اقتراح لكتاب او موقع للكتب العربية على الشبكة؟

Really :eek:

That is exactly what putme off ever learning that language... it looks worse then the burmese writing my dad keps wrting all his important passwords and information in. >_<

Afraid many of us are English-speaking-only here, Bulldozergirl. Although there probably are a few among us who can read this. Could you translate for the rest of us??

She's asking if there are any others who speak Arabic that want to converse and, I think, stories based around the Koran الالقرآن الكريم.

How many languages do you know Stewart? You never cease to amaze me! (that's a good thing)

I think Stewart probably ran the text through an online translating site :)

I asked what any members' favourite Arabic book is, excluding the Qur'an or religious books. My favourite was one called Omar Ben AbdulAziz. I also asked if anyone had recommendations for some books or sites that sell Arabic books.

BulldozerGirl said:
I think Stewart probably ran the text through an online translating site :)

Correct. :D I have an account at an Arabic <-> English site.

I asked what any members' favourite Arabic book is, excluding the Qur'an or religious books.

Not many make it to English translation - the most popular is probably the Arabian Nights.

Stewart said:
Not many make it to English translation - the most popular is probably the Arabian Nights.

Actually, the "Arabian Nights" were originally written in Farsi, and they were called the "1001 Nights". The Arabic text itself is a translation of the Farsi, and it was also called the "1001 Nights".

I thought Arabian Nights was based on the Syrian manuscript? Though this was derived from the Arabic and thus the Persian tales.

I also thought they were called The Thousand tales in Arabic and The Thousand Ledgend in Persian (though I may be wrong :) )

Ice said:
I thought Arabian Nights was based on the Syrian manuscript? Though this was derived from the Arabic and thus the Persian tales.

I also thought they were called The Thousand tales in Arabic and The Thousand Ledgend in Persian (though I may be wrong :) )

It's called Alf Layla w'Layla in Arabic which means "1000 Nights, and a Night". In Farsi, it's called Hezar Afsan v'Afsaneh which means "1000 Legends, and a Legend".

The poetry in the Arabic book rhymes, but I think they can translate it with rhyme like how Fitzgerald translated Khayyam's poems in English. I'll look up the origin of the book again, but as for the authors, they were Persian for sure. It was written during the reign of the Abbassids, and the capital of their empire was in Baghdad which had a huge Persian influence, and most of the viziers were Persian. The authors were also probably Zoroastrian or Jewish, because they look at Islam unfavourably and the book is full of Persian mythology.

BulldozerGirl said:
Actually, the "Arabian Nights" were originally written in Farsi, and they were called the "1001 Nights". The Arabic text itself is a translation of the Farsi, and it was also called the "1001 Nights".

in spanish they are also called the 1001 nights

I think one of the few Arabic books translated into many languages was Naguib Mahfouz's "The Cairo Trilogy", which won him the 1988 Nobel Prize for Literature. I think Tawfiq Al Hakim has also been translated. There are also several contemporary Arabic authors that have been translated into many languages, such as Edouard Said and Amin Maalouf.

With regards to Arab local forums about books, I think you may find this interesting:
http://www.x-cape.info/forum. I know you're not supposed to advertsie and all, but what the heck.

I can't name just one but Kanafani's Returning to Haifa and the poetry of Nazeeh Abu Afash stands out. I loved Naguib Mahfouz's Ibn Fatouma and the Trilogy and though haven't finished Ahlam Mustaghanmi's Thakerat Jasad, it has to be one of the most fascinating books written recently. I've always been intrigued by Mai Ziyada though I often like to read more about her than by her. Gibran and Mahmoud Darwish come second as my favorite poets. Razzaz is another fav. writer of mine. Writer I can't stand is Nizar Qabbani. I find his poems greatly provocative and demeaning.

لم أقرأ أي كتب عربية من فترة, ولكني دائمأ متطاع على كتب. من أفضل ما قرأته هو كتاب "واٍســـلاماه" فققد أعجبني كثيرا.​

I was searching through the forum and was struck to find an Arabic thread :rolleyes: I don't guess BulldozerGirl is still here!

I miss writing in Arabic :D

Back