• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

$39.5 Million Hi-Tech Library Opens In Illinois

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member

The new $39.5 million Fountaindale Public Library features: flat-screen TVs, video games, self-checkout stations, a variety of e-readers, and a cafe. Library officials say the new facility is a blueprint for libraries of the future, and will focus on using new technologies. From the article: "The Fountaindale Public Library, with its state-of-the-art, Wi-Fi equipped space, is starkly different from the previous antiquated library, a nearby one-story brick structure built in 1975 that awaits the wrecking ball. Officials are hopeful the new facility attracts a demographic libraries haven't seen in a number of years — young professionals."

Before you pish-posh the notion of video games, I remember our libraries growing up having designated play areas for children.

The cafe sounds like an excellent idea as well.

Before you pish-posh the notion of video games, I remember our libraries growing up having designated play areas for children.

The cafe sounds like an excellent idea as well.

The easy acess to information via the internet is what has kept me from making library visits. I doubt most people would make a trip to the library when Google and Wikipedia are just a mouse click away. If this library isn't close to a public school, I doubt if it will get many visitors.

Back