• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

59: Ooops - It's Time to Think About Retirement - thanks to Donna Davis' Retirement Basics book!

Diane D.

The full title of Donna Davis' book is Retirement Basics: Help for Broke Baby Boomers - whilst not necessarily completely 'broke', I can (cough) admit two things: (a) when did I get to be FIFTY-NINE? and (b) I'd better stop acting like I'm not gonna retire, 'cause it's just around the corner. Apparently.

With these thoughts in mind - and with the encouraging notion that that Davis doesn't assume the aging reader has made any prior plans, or that readers are monied or even necessarily employed - I absorbed her messages.

Thankfully, Davis assumes little prior knowledge and outlines many of the tools readers can easily use to gain exact information about their benefits and when they will be paid. Website links provided within the book go directly to key areas of information, such as those covering full retirement age or the Social Security Planner.

At each step of the way, Retirement Basics offers a combination of Davis' own experiences and strategies that work. The addition of this 'personal touch' makes for a far more accessible product for the general-interest reader who has had limited exposure to financial concepts and doesn't have much insight into retirement's possible options.

Competing titles cover most of these nuts and bolts, but use dense language and terminology that doesn't make for a smooth, flowing read. Retirement Basics: Help for Broke Baby Boomers is different: its purpose is to cover a range of options, offer explanations that are easily digested, and reach baby boomers in particular, with their special retirement issues and options. With its wealth of possibilities, anyone nervous about their upcoming retirement will come away from Retirement Basics feeling better informed and more confident about all the positive signs on their retirement horizon. I sure did!

Back