• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

84 Charing Cross Road?

Lucia416

Can anyone tell me what is happening to the building at 84 Charing Cross Road? When I was in London in '04, I tried to make a pilgrimage and was sent to the wrong building. (I was on the wrong side of Shaftesbury). So this past summer when visiting London again, I found the right building, but it was being remodeled. I was also a bit concerned about medallion that notes Helen Hanff's book and the book shop...the light over it was disconnected. Any news?

Can anyone tell me what is happening to the building at 84 Charing Cross Road? When I was in London in '04, I tried to make a pilgrimage and was sent to the wrong building. (I was on the wrong side of Shaftesbury). So this past summer when visiting London again, I found the right building, but it was being remodeled. I was also a bit concerned about medallion that notes Helen Hanff's book and the book shop...the light over it was disconnected. Any news?

Hello Lucia,
84 Charing Cross Road has been in my tbr pile for a long time. I'm not sure what occupies the premises now, but I'll have a look the next time I walk past, possibly at the end of this week.

Thank you Gem

"84" is a favorite of mine and a quick and rewarding read. Also the film of 84 Charing Cross Road with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft is excellent. It was made in the 80s. Thank you so much for offering to check up on the site.

Lucia416,

I couldn't make it to Charing Cross, but I called the Phoenix Theatre which is along there, and an absolute sweetheart of a man went out and had a look for me. He said that it was a very newly opened bar/restaurant called The Med Kitchen. The plaque commemorating the place is not in very good condition.

Thank you so much

Thank you Gem. I appreciately the trouble you took to reply to my question. It was so kind. And I hope to return to London to make my Charing Cross pilgrimage again some time.

Back