• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Beautiful Mind

Gracewings

kickbox
I recently started the book A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar about John Nash, a mathematical genius who won a Nobel Prize. Has anyone read it and/or seen the movie? I was hoping to finish before the movie left the theatre (it is already at the $2 theatre so I may not make it in time, having started a couple other books, also).

It'd be interesting to read the book and then watch the film. I haven't seen it, but I understand that Ron Howard sentimentalised everything to an unbelievable degree. No mention of Nash's violent outbursts, woman-beating, nor even his bi-curious experimentation. No, no, that'd never do if they wanted the Oscars, would it? (And they did, and - what's worse - they got them.)

Still, I'm not sure that Nasar's biography isn't equally as selective with the facts. Perhaps you can answer that after you've read it?

Tobytook

I've seen the film, but not read the book. I really enjoyed the film, but I've heard that it wasn't such a tru reflection of the real Nash.

I didn't know a thing about Nash when I went to see the film with my fiancee, so the twist was quite a surprise - I didn't actually believe it at first!

The title is certainly intriguing. How often does one hear of a mind described as beautiful?

I haven't gotten too far, only 5 chapters that which brings him to Princeton Univ, wherein Einstein was one of the professors. There is a good deal of mathematical talk going over my head -- I'm sure that is not in the movie. ;)

I've seen the movie, and I think it's fair to say that Tobytook's right about the oversentimentalising (is that even a word?) they did. The movie wasn't bad or anything, but it certainly isn't a film I would want to see a second time...

:eek: didn't know there was a book!!
darmn, and i watched the movie too
i like to read the book before i watch the movie

oh well... good movie tho

never heard about his wife beating or bi-curious nature or outbursts tho (kinda of hits upon that ficton/non-fiction debate from a while back;) )
the movie was True.. but Not True

never heard about his wife beating or bi-curious nature or outbursts tho
I'm not sure about the wife beating but the other things have already been touched upon in the book. He had no patience with anyone who he didn't deem at least as intelligent as himself.

Anyway, I won't be able to tell much more about it as I had to return my copy to the library (only 2 wks for new/popular books and 1 renewal). I became more interested in some lighter reading. Can I blame it on the 100+ degree temperatures for the last week which I've endured without air conditioning? :( :p I'll try to get back to it in the fall, maybe some of you would be interested in reading it at the same time so we can discuss (?).

I thought 'A Beautiful Mind' was quite a good film....I finally understood what Schizophrenia is and I thought it was quite an intelligent and sensitive look at the condition, but the wife beating's a surprise - I didn't know there was a book either and have only seen the film. He did attack his wife in the film but it was portrayed as if he was actually trying to stop the secret service guy from hurting her, mainly by waving his arms around, and ended up hitting her instead. Is that how it was portrayed in the book?

Back