• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A few questions

Wael

kickbox
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums and I am just posting this thread to discuss with you some question that I have been pondering over for quite awhile now after reading the series over 10 times :cool:

In the third book, when Sirius Black was on the loose and thought to be going after Harry, why didn't he just use floo powder to get into the Gryffindor common room and kill Peter Pettigrew? He did it in the 4th and 5th books of the series, I don't understand why he couldn't of done it then? It would have been easy to break into a house as a dog and transport to the Gryffindor common room. The same question can be asked about portkeys, but not much is revealed to us about these so I can't argue anything there. Another annoying thing that I have wondered about is why didn't the people who were about to be killed by voldemort just apparate? I know it sounds a bit dull but surely Harry's mother could of apparated with harry (side-along apparation) while james potter was holding voldemort off? Maybe he sets a spell right away around homes from preventing them to apparate that we havent been informed about yet. Thats all for now I have more to come when I am less tired :D

Wael said:
In the third book, when Sirius Black was on the loose and thought to be going after Harry, why didn't he just use floo powder to get into the Gryffindor common room and kill Peter Pettigrew?
My hazy recollection is that he didn't know that Pettigrew was there. It came as a big surprise to him that Pettigrew was even in the form of a rat, as I recall, let alone belonging to the Weasleys. If Sirius had known he would surely have notified McGonnagal or Dumbledore in regard to that fact.

Wael said:
Another annoying thing that I have wondered about is why didn't the people who were about to be killed by voldemort just apparate?
Possibly timing? Remember the whole issue about needing to say the spells without speaking? Alternatively maybe Voldemort managed to ensure that those he killed did not have their wands on them. In the time it would have taken them to summon their wands and cast the apparate spell they would already be dead.

I don't think its possible to floo into Hogwarts. I know you can travel from room to room, but there's no instance of another character flooing in from outside the building. Even parents have to walk up the front drive to get in [ ootp ]. The building is probably on a closed network, for security reasons and to keep students from sneaking off campus.

WoodenCoyote said:
I don't think its possible to floo into Hogwarts. I know you can travel from room to room, but there's no instance of another character flooing in from outside the building. Even parents have to walk up the front drive to get in [ ootp ]. The building is probably on a closed network, for security reasons and to keep students from sneaking off campus.
Oh, yes, you're right! I think it was in the first book that this was covered. It's not possible to apperate into or out of Hogwarts because of protections put on by the school to protect the students. I think I recall Hermionie quoting something along those lines in an exasperated tone to Ron and Harry because they hadn't read, 'A History of Hogwarts' or whatever it's called. I would assume that floo powder would have the same protection. Appearing in the fireplace and using floo powder are quite different.

well appearing in the fireplace can be just as harmful as actually walking out of it becuase if a deatheater could just stick an arm into the gryffindor common room, he/she could blast death curses around everywhere. (Like that big guy who was blasting curses everywhere at the end of teh 6th :eek: ) It was shown that it is possible to use floo powder to get into the common room fires when Sirius did it in the 4th and 5th books.

As to if Sirius didn't know about Peter Pettigrew's existence when he entered the Gryffindor common room, I think he had to have known all along, otherwise he wouldn't of gotten the motivation to break out of Azkaban and find him, and he would have never broke into the Gryffindor Common room to get him. He couldn't notify Dumbledore because he was on the run from the Ministry of Magic. I just don't see what would prevent him or anybody else to use floo powder to get into the castle.

Back