• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Good Reason for a Holiday - Like Hiaasen, Like T.C.Boyle...

ohnonotagain

[it should be "A Good Read..."]

Hello everybody!

Tomorrow I'm going on a week-long holiday and was hoping to take a really good read with me, to sit/lie in the sun for hours and forget about insect bites...

I've been enjoying Carl Hiaasens books very much, unfortunately i read just about all of them...

But something like that:

Critical yet entertaining, acid sort of humor, but not crude.
Not too emotional/romantic, but not all male action, either.
criticising society, but still positive, encouraging, (open) happy end.

I like a good plot. i don't like to be deceived or sold cheap by the author.
I like a good crime story, but i don't like when the solution is lurking behind the corner halfway through the book, and you just keep on reading, thinking: come on, get it over with!

if you read and enjoyed hiaasen, chances are you know what i mean.

T.C.Boyles Talk Talk is another of these perfect deep content/entertainment value combinations.

and as you can see from my username, all this can also be sci-fi and/or fantasy, but the actual genre is secondary.

I would be so glad to get some suggestions!
I will borrow the book from our extremely well-equiped library; still, 2013 books are probably booked out.
I like to read in english.

Thanks!

Irving's still a prolific writer, so there should be some new ones to discover, too.

Can't say anything about Leonard, I've never tried his books so far.

If you like Hiaasen, try Tim Dorsey. Laugh out loud Florida crime fiction. Try Florida Roadkill, It's the first one in the series.

Back