• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Good World History Book

Atlas

Hi Folks,

I've studied American history, and now I want to have more of a global perspective on things. Does anyone have any good books they'd recommend? It's OK if the title is lengthy, as I'm looking for something that goes from Prehistory to the modern age.

I'd like to be able to read it on my Kindle, but a physical book is fine if it's an excellent title.

Thanks!
Justin

That's a tall order to find a single book that does a decent job of telling the high points of everything from prehistory to modern times. If you want a really broad overview then The Complete Idiot's Guide to World History is not bad place to start. It will at least give you enough information to decide what period you want to study more.

The Essential World History, Volume I and The Essential World History, Volume II look like they might be more of what you are looking for. They are textbooks and therefore not cheap.

A few lower-priced options:

The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome

The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade

Experiencing World History

Two other books you should check out are Guns, Germs, and Steel and Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. Both are spectacular.

I haven't read it but it's a textbook so it will definitely give you an overview and the major dates and facts.

Back