• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A little trouble...

Crystal

kickbox
lastnight i just found some nasty spyware posioning my computer without my awarness. just wondered how can i make sure whether a certain forum is safe or not to the computer? i think this one is safe, right?

mi guess is that forums are usually fairly safe, you could catch that spyware anywere dont see how your suspictions are foucused on forums

She's just making sure. I'm fairly certain this site is free from it or my computer would have detected it, but w/o knowing where you've been it's hard to know otherwise. Sorry I can't help more crystal , I'm sure someone can recommend a good spyware detector and blocker for you.

I would say that this site is free of spyware, but it is easy to get spyware when looking around on the internet. Yesterday I found a website with wallpapers and I browsed around for a time and then all of a sudden I saw that there had been installed something on my computer.. I scanned with Ad-Aware and Spybot - search and destroy and found about 118 new critical items :eek: .. I'm now switching to Mozilla Firefox instead of Explorer, I think that should be better against spyware.
The only advice I can give you is:
Scan everyday with antispyware like Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy (You can find them by searching on www.download.com)
Switch to Firefox

Hope that helps..

Hay

My computer buddies keep blathering on about creating a host file to prevent spyware, I have no idea what they're talking about. :(

Ashlea said:
My computer buddies keep blathering on about creating a host file to prevent spyware, I have no idea what they're talking about. :(
I don't know ???
I just switched to Firefox and I like it. :D

this site should be totally safe. You need to install spy bot it will protect find all spyware on your computer and delete it safely :) ALSO it can immunize your computer against any further spy ware ( the ones it knows about ) You must keep it updated by downloading new file packs for new spy ware and also keep running it every day on your system to track down spy ware. If you have any questions let me know and ill try answer for you :)

Hay 82 & sillywabbit, Thank you both for the links!

mr michel, thank god, you have changed your avatar eventaully, :D (though not pretty). i noticed your signature, and I liked them. where they came from? sorry, the first one.

True, we are even now, because i cannot help with your Moby Dick and leviathan either.

watercrystal said:
mr michel, thank god, you have changed your avatar eventaully, :D (though not pretty). i noticed your signature, and I liked them. where they came from? sorry, the first one.
ill be trying new avatars in this days. (so let me know if you see anyone you like)
mostly i use quotes from seinfeld
the second one its from a novel (in the style of an autobio) about long silver by Bjorn Larsson, i have that one in spanish so i hope my translation its not too bad

watercrystal said:
Hay 82 & sillywabbit, Thank you both for the links!

True, we are even now, because i cannot help with your Moby Dick and leviathan either.

It's ok, I'm not sure anyone can really offer help. I'm kind of proposing my own origional theory, was just hoping for discussion about it if possible. To see if I could make it stand.

Since this site "upgraded" recently, it's been sending me loads more cookies. Also, chances are that unless you have some preventative software installed (I run cookie crusher, adaware, and start-up cop), your machine is running several spyware programs. Ebay is notoriously bad about this, so if you use ebay, you're screwed. I hate them.

Billy Oblivion said:
What is spyware? What is this thread about? Do I need to know?
Hi Billy...

This thread's about nasty little programs that install themselves on your computer without your knowledge. These programs, called spywares, do anything from sending browser usage statistics back to their home servers to monitor your online patterns/behaviour, to providing backdoors for intruders to take control of your machine to do, uhm, bad things.

The programs that got mentioned here, ad-aware and spybot, are free anti-spyware tools. They are similar to anti-virus tools, except they ferret out known vulnerabilities or installed spywares. Like anti-virus software, these anti-spyware software requires regular updates to recognize the latest spywares.

Your risk of being affected is higher if your machine is on broadband and you're constantly online. If your machine seems to chug along furiously when all you're doing is reading posts on The Book Forum, then there's reason to suspect there's activity going on on your PC that you'd probably not like.

Mitigation: Er... I don't want to sound like an evangelist, but Firefox (which is an alternative browser to IE. Other browsers include Mozilla/Netscape or Opera) is a very good way of minimizing this problem. If you use IE, be mindful of what you agree to online, especially popups.

Solution: As hay82 and SillyWabbit suggested.

Hope this helped.

ds

Thanks ds. I only use the computer at work and the IT section do all the technical bits which is why I know nothing. I've just purchased a computer for home and when I get a phone line installed I'll be message boarding from there so I guess I'm going to have to learn quite a few things.

Back