• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Question from jp

Joel

I wonder if anybody could tell me what age group is covered by the YA tag. My first book deals (quite sensitively) with some adult issues yet details situations from the mid-teens. Whilst it may attract an 'R' rating I feel those to whom it might be useful won't get to read it before it is too late.

Thanks that has given me some idea. I do feel 12 is too young to be termed 'Young Adult' though and would advise against someone so young reading my book(s). There is a certain amount of profanity in the dialogue. Initially I tried to omit or substitute it but was told by publishers it was a bad decision so included it for realism.

I feel it depends on the child if they are old enough or not. Some kids can handle the more mature themes...trust me if they can, their parents know and will make the decision if it's age appropriate.

I feel it depends on the child if they are old enough or not. Some kids can handle the more mature themes...trust me if they can, their parents know and will make the decision if it's age appropriate.

I agree, if the book is in general discussing topics pertinent to YA and issues they face, then you can't control who reads it. If the publishers feel the content is suitable - trust them. And parents will (hopefully) monitor the reading of readers who might be too young.

If it deeply concerns you, you can try ask the publishers to ensure the blurb contains some phrasing as to 'suitable for readers age .... and up

Back