• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A unique read with...

Danny Creasy

even a little counter intelligence poetry:

Rainy Street Stories by John Davis

I just finished the 169 pages of an entertaining and thought provoking book written by John Davis of North Alabama. "A linguist, former combat arms and counterintelligence officer, he is an observer of the world." Consisting of 66 independent, short reads, Rainy Street Stories takes one to the places John has been and the people he has encountered.

From the middle east to Germany to Poland to Gettysburg to England, from decades ago to the present, from war to peace and back, John provokes the reader to imagine his worlds and experiences.

His ability to draw out the story of a stranger, soon to be a friend, is uncanny. While touring Auschwitz (Poland) he met and became friends with a man that survived the wartime horrors of the former hell in which they strolled. Another holocaust survivor he writes of is an elderly "founding mother" of Israel. He met her by chance in Germany; such courage, to return to the land that murdered all of the known family of her youth.

John Davis writes of espionage. The players, Cold War allies and enemies, terrorists, informants, and yes, spies, often met on "Rainey Streets" in dark places.

Oh, and believe me, prospective reader, he writes. A chapter telling of hunting terrorists (an enemy he understands as few really do) is followed by John's essay reflecting on Franklin Roosevelt's Four Freedoms. Especially lucid to me, are his lines addressing Freedom from Want. John writes, "My father-in-law fought the Nazis in World War II. Once we we're discussing where Hitler's foot soldiers came from, and he offered a very simple observation he had heard from a German he met after the war. 'If you are the father of a family, by the time the seventh meal you can't provide for your children comes around, you are ready to follow anyone who will give it to you.' If we want to avoid giving terrorists water for their garden of resentment, revenge, and hatred, we have to ensure a world of solidarity. That means, I must be able to provide for my family, or it will be quite easy for me to fall under the spell of a mesmerizing liar, a clever deceiver, or a terrorist. Take this truism to any level: to nation, to religion, to the entire world..."

I most highly recommend Rainy Street Stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Rainy-Street...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1566011856&sr=1-1

Back