• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

About Grace

desuyoha

Hi...My name is Deborah and this is my first post on this forum. Has anyone read "About Grace" by Anthony Doerr? If someone has, could you please explain the ending to me. Who did he see walking toward him? Thanks

Welcome, Deborah! I had never even heard of Anthony Doerr, but wnen I saw his last name it caught my eye. One of the most lyrical books I have read was written by a woman named Harriet Doerr. I wonder if they are related? I will certainly seek out more info about Anthony, if so. Have you ever heard of "Consider this, Senora"? Beautifully written. I believe she didn't publish until late in life.

I'll read yours if you'll read mine!

:D

No, I haven't read any of Harriet Doerr's books. I did look up some information on her and found that her writing sounds similiar to Anthony Doerr's writing. Here is a quote from Harriet...

"I found I'm quite happy working on a sentence for an hour or more,
searching for the right phrase, the right word," she said in an
interview. "I compare it to the work of a stone cutter — chipping away
at the raw material until it's just right, or as right as you can get
it."

Anthony Doerr's book had beautiful word pictures...slow reading but such enjoyable words.

Harriet died in 2002 at the age of 92. Her husband's name was Albert and she had one daughter and a son who died in 1995. Probably no connection but thanks for the recommendation.

I am reading About Grace! It's wonderful! I haven't finished it yet, but I will get back to you when I have.

Oh, hell, I'm going to go ahead and say it: I'm loving this book. I can't help it. I love my books and I hate them. I feel emotional about my books. I'm going to come right out and admit this: I actually own (and use) a library ladder. I have that many books.

So don't expect me to behave (or to speak) rationally when it comes to books. I'm not and I don't. Won't, even.

:p

I'm glad you are reading this book. I usually don't reread books but this is one I might reread. Let me know what you think about the ending.

The Ending...

Well, it almost had to have been Sandy, don't you think? From the imagery that accompanied her? A kind of a thumbs-up from Sandy?

Thank you so much for recommending this book. I don't think I would have found it by myself, and I enjoyed it immensely. This man is going to go onto my watch-for-this-author list.

Now, you go read Consider this, Senora.

:)

Back