• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

African Literature

abecedarian

Yesterday at church, we had Aftican missionaries come to speak, and after talking to them, I realize I know very little about the continent of Africa. Where should I start? I have a copy of Cry the Beloved Country, but a quick look at Amazon reveals a very long list of possibilities. I'm open to suggestions here! Forgive me if there's already a similar thread, for some reason I couldn't get the search engine to work.

abecedarian said:
Yesterday at church, we had Aftican missionaries come to speak, and after talking to them, I realize I know very little about the continent of Africa. Where should I start? I have a copy of Cry the Beloved Country, but a quick look at Amazon reveals a very long list of possibilities. I'm open to suggestions here! Forgive me if there's already a similar thread, for some reason I couldn't get the search engine to work.

Oh, abecedarian, please forgive my warped sense of humor, but Poisonwood Bible is the first thing that popped into my mind!

:eek:

:D Even a warped sense of humor is better than NO sense of humor!

Browsing through Amazon listings for African Literature and History shows me that there probably is no right place to start on a topic so broad. The point will have to be to just start somewhere...Hmm, I just had an idea, I might email the missionaries and ask them for advice. They might have some good ideas. They certainly provided insight into cultural differences, at least for the region they were in (Burkina Faso).

The short stories of Nadine Gordimer are great. Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart is seminal. Also the novels of Emanuel Dongala.

novella said:
Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart is seminal.
Can I ask if that’s a statement of 'generally accepted wisdom’ or a recommendation? I’ve come across books by Achebe in Foyles before and come close to making a purchase; a recommendation will tip me over the edge nicely.

I read a wonderful book set in Africa called The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. It's set in Botswana and it blends mystery, humor, and slice-of-life aspects, all brought together with a charming main character. Mma Ramotswe is the head of her own detective agency in Botswana and the book includes some of her personal history, as well as the cases she investigates. The characterization of even the most minor characters is incredible and vivid. Highly recommended!

But it sounds like you're looking for nonfiction? I found a short-ish list of the 100 best African Studies books here. If you scroll down you'll see the list of nonfiction. It's divided up by countries/regions. Good luck!

Thanks for the list! I am looking mostly for nonfiction, but I learn so much from a well-done novel too..

Heh. Missionaries. Regardless, try something by Toni Morrison. Beloved is the only one of hers I've read. Great book.

KristoCat said:
I read a wonderful book set in Africa called The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.
This was the first one that occurred to me. I'm not sure of the accuracy, but a friend of mine from Botswana also really enjoyed them, so perhaps that says something. Also consider 'The Power of One' and 'Tandia' by Bryce Courtney(?). Simply brilliant!! This would rank highly on my 'best books ever read' list.

As regards non-fiction, there are a lot of books about Aid projects in Africa. I'm presently doing some research on international development in Africa. I'll keep an eye out for one which is readable rather than just being informative (trust me, there's a big difference as many of them are very dry).

Have you considered reading Nelson Mandela's bio, 'A Long Walk to Freedom'? This has been on my TBR for years, but I haven't felt in the right frame of mind to pick it up when I've had the opportunity. I've heard great things about it.

Finally, I would recommend seeing the movie Hotel Rwanda. Incredibly stirring, painful and thought provoking. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

It just struck me that there really isn't much in the way of "light" material out there on Africa, is there? Not that I was looking for that, which is just as well!Hmm, this little reading jaunt may actually be mind-boggling :cool:

Not necessarily. Travelogues may be a good way to get into the continent and get an overview of the geography and the variety of cultures. Just remember that Africa is HUGE and you can't really generalise as there is such a variety of cultures, customs and environments.

Kookamoor said:
Not necessarily. Travelogues may be a good way to get into the continent and get an overview of the geography and the variety of cultures. Just remember that Africa is HUGE and you can't really generalise as there is such a variety of cultures, customs and environments.

True, I found out Bill Bryson has a book about traveling in Africa for a few weeks. I ordered it from the library for a toe-dip into the subject. The subject is too broad to fit into one neat volume. The trouble is, in browsing awhile on Amazon, I saw a huge pile of books to add to my "wanta read it someday" list. In many ways its like, and maybe even worse, than trying to find a book about North America..which country, which century, which war, which ethnic group, and which state to start with..and that's without considering religions and politics.. :eek: Gee, I can't wait til I "discover" Asia :p

Its hard to find one book that deals with africa. As kookamoor said, africa is huge and has such a variety of cultures. If you are looking for fiction it tends to be either about south africa and apartheid or English colonialists. If you are interested in history i can recommend reading the story about Henry M. Stanley and how he found Dr. Livingstone. The real story is quite different from the legend.

Kenny Shovel said:
Can I ask if that’s a statement of 'generally accepted wisdom’ or a recommendation? I’ve come across books by Achebe in Foyles before and come close to making a purchase; a recommendation will tip me over the edge nicely.
I enjoyed Things Fall Apart. Well, I liked the story, not that it's a feel-good story, but a good one nonetheless. The one caveat I have is that his style is not that great. He uses a few redundant and unnecessary phrases over and over. It drove my girlfriend mad when she read it.

RitalinKid said:
I enjoyed Things Fall Apart. Well, I liked the story, not that it's a feel-good story, but a good one nonetheless. The one caveat I have is that his style is not that great. He uses a few redundant and unnecessary phrases over and over. It drove my girlfriend mad when she read it.
Mmm, ok, next time I'm in Foyles I'll read a page or two and see if the style grates before taking the plunge.

thanks,

K-S

KristoCat said:
I read a wonderful book set in Africa called The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.

I've read the first two books in this series and I also thought they were fun reads. If you burn out on the non-fiction I'd suggest slipping one of these into the mix.

Kenny Shovel said:
Mmm, ok, next time I'm in Foyles I'll read a page or two and see if the style grates before taking the plunge.
BTW, my g/f liked the book despite the style issues.

abecedarian said:
True, I found out Bill Bryson has a book about traveling in Africa for a few weeks.
Awesome! I'll have to look this one up! Please post when you've read it to remind me to add it to my TBR.

The trouble is, in browsing awhile on Amazon, I saw a huge pile of books to add to my "wanta read it someday" list.
That's a 'trouble'??!? Man, I want your world! :D

Kookamoor said:
Awesome! I'll have to look this one up! Please post when you've read it to remind me to add it to my TBR.

it's Bill Bryson's African Diary. My wife read it and she REALLY enjoyed it.

Back