• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alan Axelrod: The Real History of...

The Real History of the Cold War and The Real History of the American Revolution are both highly informative (yet concise) reviews of their respective subjects that are peppered with loads images that really add meat to the text. Both books are written by Alan Axelrod, who is the author of literally dozens of books (these are the only two that I have read). I highly recommend both books, especially The Real History of the American Revolution.

Dr. Leonardo Noto

I too am reading a book about the Cold War and I learned a few things that we were never taught in school. Any examples out of the The Real History of the Cold War?

That's a hard question...

That's a really hard question for me to answer b/c I grew up in a uber-Cold War family (my grandfather worked on the Manhattan project + a lot of other things and my father also worked in nukes). In my family WWIII and nuclear holocaust were dinner conversations when I was really young. If you want to read a great Cold War book that will definitely teach you a lot you don't already know, check out Stalking The Red Bear. It is about a spy submarine during the Cold War and is truly an amazing story (that is also a true story).

Sparkchaser

Hey, if you haven't seen the movie Fat Man and Little Boy about the Mahattan Project you should check it out. Great flick with Paul Newman and John Cussack that really gets into the politics of the beginning of the Cold War towards the end of the film. The Army was thinking about war with the Soviets long before Churchill gave The Iron Curtain speech. The only part of the movie that I don't like is that they didn't make General Groves fat...my grandfather used to joke that everytime he entered Groves office the general would reach into his pocket and offer him a candy bar.

Dr. Leonardo Noto
www.leonardonoto.com (nonfiction book reviews) or follow me on Twitter @DrLeonardoNoto (medical tweets)

I have seen Fat Man and Little Boy. Good movie.

That's a really hard question for me to answer b/c I grew up in a uber-Cold War family (my grandfather worked on the Manhattan project + a lot of other things and my father also worked in nukes). In my family WWIII and nuclear holocaust were dinner conversations when I was really young. If you want to read a great Cold War book that will definitely teach you a lot you don't already know, check out Stalking The Red Bear. It is about a spy submarine during the Cold War and is truly an amazing story (that is also a true story).

And so my shopping cart grows to 21 titles.

Back