• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alex Garland: The Coma

angerball

Just wondering if anyone has read The Coma, by Alex Garland (author of The Beach and The Tesseract). It's very short - more of a novella really - maybe 200 pages (there are no page numbers :confused: ), and about a quarter of those are illustrations (by Alex Garland's father).

The book is about a man (Carl), who is taking the train home from work late at night. He saves a girl from being harrassed by a group of thugs and is subsequently beaten badly, and winds up in a coma. He wakes from the coma, but notices strange gaps in time, or things that don't add up, and he starts to question his reality. (I won't give the rest away).

Anyway, for anyone who has read it,
what was in the briefcase at the end??? :confused: He says (when he has opened the briefcase) "It is possible you can guess what I saw. There are no surprises here.", but you never find out what was in there!!
:mad: Does anyone know? :confused:

It was ages ago that I read this. Well, it was this year, but last week is ages for me - crap memory. :) I can't recall the answer to your question though - sorry!

However, I liked the book. And the Beach. yes - really like Beach. But I couldn't stomach Tesseract. Gave up on it.

Actually, Coma reminded me of waking up after a night out...:rolleyes:

Alex Garland- The Beach vs. The Coma

I recently just read these novels and really enjoyed them, the Beach especially. They were both written by author Alex Garland and I found many similarities within these two novels, such as the struggle in which the protagonists go through in order to reach their goal. For those of you who have read this book, what similarities did you notice within the plots? And for those of you who have not read them yet, I suggest you pick them up.

It's been so long since I read either of these books, that unfortunately I can't remember similarities. :eek:

However I just want to second citystars19's recommendation - they are book great books. :D

My guess was something like a letterhead that contained his name, thus the "no surprises" angle that was mentioned.

I thought The Coma was OK book but nothing special and I constantly was thinking "wonder what his publishers thought when he handed this in"...

Back