• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alice Hoffman

Going through, the 'currently reading' thread, it appears that Alice Hoffman seems to be quite popular amongst some of the readers here with books such as Here on Earth, Practical Magic, The River King, Seventh Heaven and the like.

Which of her books have you read, and for you what's so special about them?

I've read Practical Magic, and have Here on Earth in my TBR stack. I've read Practical Magic a couple of times and am tempted to pick it up again. She has her own brand of magical realism, it creeps into everyday life in a beautiful way. I also love her characters, she can juggle quite a few without shortchanging any of them, they're all very real.

Sounds interesting :)

Is Practical Magic the same as the film that came out some years ago with the same name? Or, are they two different things?

SillyWabbit said:
Sounds interesting :)

Is Practical Magic the same as the film that came out some years ago with the same name? Or, are they two different things?

The movie was based on the book but only loosely. I like them both in their way but I can see how people who like the book would be irritated by the movie - it's much simplified.

Ah ok :)

Well, have not see the movie, but just heard about it. Anyway, the author sounds interesting.

Ho - hum, another author to my list :D

I'm digging this one up because I'm a little over half way through Seventh Heaven right now. Having read a number of her books (Practical Magic, Illumination Night, The Probable Future and Here on Earth...possibly more that I've forgotten) I've found her books to be hit or miss. Practical Magic and The Probable Future were both excellent. I enjoyed reading them the whole way through. Illumination Night was one that I enjoyed more after it was over and done with, while Here on Earth I just hated.

Seventh Heaven
started off strong, and is now (at 60% over) starting to bore me. I've thought a couple times of putting it down, but I'm trying to stop doing that (it has become a trend lately). Has anyone else read it? I'd love an encouraging answer about its improvement after a short slow spell.

Practical Magic was the only book of hers that I've liked. I didn't care for the movie.

I just couldn't get through Seventh Heaven. Maybe it gets better again in the last third but I never got there. Sorry!
Let me know how it turns out.

I only read Practical Magic. That was many years ago, so I don't recall any specific events. I remember thinking that the profanity should have been edited out. Not because I was offended by it; the foul language didn't really mesh well with Hoffman's style. Apart from that complaint; I liked the book (couldn't get through the movie).

I have The Ice Queen in my TBR stack. It will be the first of her books I've read. Has anyone read this one? How does it rate compared to the others she's written?

I have The Ice Queen in my TBR stack. It will be the first of her books I've read. Has anyone read this one? How does it rate compared to the others she's written?

I have not. I don't have it here either, so I can't even promise to read it next.

Back