• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amélie Nothomb

lies

I finished reading Amélie Nothomb's debut today and even though it is very probable that not too many people on this forum are interested in Nothomb's work, I felt like sharing anyway. Besides, a quick search taught me that two other members (msm and Rigana) seem to like this Belgian author, so this thread might not be a total waste.

Hygiène de l'assassin is the first novel by Nothomb that I've read. I did enjoy reading this, but I have to admit that I sometimes felt the book lacked some "maturity" (for lack of a better word). Also, it took a bit too long before it really picked up speed in my opinion, which is a bit of a problem with a novel that's only 222 pages long.

Still, Nothomb was only 25 when she wrote this, so maybe I should give her later work a shot before making up my mind.

I liked very much two of Amelie Nothomb's books, Mercure and Antichrista. I was very captivated by the stories, and i could't drop the books untill I finished them. It was a little bit stange thet Mercure had two possible endings ( i liked the first one more).
I plan on reading other novels by this author, i now i won't regret it.

I have read all of Nothomb's work- every year, as she publishes her new book, as I open the first page, I know I'm about to enjoy myself - she rarely disappoints as her 'corpus' is incredibly homogeneous. I like her short format, her obsessive leitmotives, her cruelty. But I also agree with you - she seems to be lacking a kind of artistic maturity (only, she's almost forty now!). All in all, I can't really rate this as Great Literature, but I nevertheless think she's a good read. As I said it might be kind of suspicious, the way all her books are kind of the same book, and I have often thought she's a mannerist/ moneymaking machine/ childish dilettante. But, fifteen years after her first book, I owe it to her: this is simply consistency. If I want to be indulgent, I could say that maybe her opera omnia will have a depth her single novels lack.
However even if the first poster didn't expect the thread to be a success - and even if it looks, indeed, anaemic- Nothomb's very, very big in Europe. I'd say she's one of the hottest, most marketable writers out here.

I bought her book Fear and Trembling on impulse when I was on holiday in America and only just got round to it a couple of days ago. It was an easy read which I managed to finish in a day, but I think that it was lacking something. Some of the book's imagery made me smile though (such as the life "spitting" her out) and altogether I thought her work ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get more.

Next

She's next, she's on my reading list, I had one of her books from the library and had to give it back because I didn't have time to read it, so now, in my winter holiday, she will be the first on my reading list. I can't wait to share my impressions with you.What book do you recommend anyway? what shall I start with?

Back