• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amazon or Own website?

Gootler

my old man has just had his book published, is there merit in people we know buying it through amazon to boost it in the rankings or take the extra money from selling off his own site?? What say ye people?

A sale is a sale is a sale. Basically, the hardest part about self publishing is selling, actually letting people know the book exists.

I dunno if your dad's book is self published or not, but basically whatever the case may be you're going to have to put in loads of effort for the little return and slowly build.

BTW, check out my new book, Ashlynn's Dreams. It's on amazon, bn, etc

I think doing both is a good idea. Like Readsalot said, promoting the book is the hardest part and amazon won't allow you to do that in the same way a private website will. But selling through amazon is a smart way to go because lots of people are wary of buying things off of small sites with no reputation.

try some free sites like a blog. It might not be as flashy as your own website, but you don't want to get more in debt by advertising

Why not do both?

I concur.

try some free sites like a blog. It might not be as flashy as your own website, but you don't want to get more in debt by advertising

My own site is run under freewebs. I don't pay any direct costs to them for it and I have found it quite satisfactory.

I think doing both is a good idea. Like Readsalot said, promoting the book is the hardest part and amazon won't allow you to do that in the same way a private website will. But selling through amazon is a smart way to go because lots of people are wary of buying things off of small sites with no reputation.

Just on that, if you are self published, how do you go about getting Amazon to sell your book? I was told by another source (not on this forum) that it was pointless trying to get amazon to sell your book unless you were dealing with huge numbers as the number of books Amazon would want to have in stock would involve you having to produce an absolute megaload before they would consider it.

Have I been misinformed?

I concur.

My own site is run under freewebs. I don't pay any direct costs to them for it and I have found it quite satisfactory.

Just on that, if you are self published, how do you go about getting Amazon to sell your book? I was told by another source (not on this forum) that it was pointless trying to get amazon to sell your book unless you were dealing with huge numbers as the number of books Amazon would want to have in stock would involve you having to produce an absolute megaload before they would consider it.

Have I been misinformed?

Ah cool, I'll have to look into the freewebs things.
The amazon thing depends. I think you can sell electronic versions with them through kindle and they get like 30% of each sale. You'd have to do some research into it. My book was listed with them b/c of the publishing company I went with ... they handled those details. I don't think it's all that hard, just a matter of getting the information in the right formats for the amazon people.

The amazon thing depends. I think you can sell electronic versions with them through kindle and they get like 30% of each sale. You'd have to do some research into it. I don't think it's all that hard, just a matter of getting the information in the right formats for the amazon people.

Thanks for the info, readsalot.

We have registered domains and paid for the website hosting from 123reg, which is not alot of money (under £50 for the year) and I have built the site myself using Microsoft Expression Web and a link to Paypal for payment so all in all the costs were minimal. The good thing about paying for the hosting is that you dont get any ads like some free hosting and you have total control. Fortunatly though I have the skills to build a site (even though I cheated and used a template) so there was no design cost which is probably where your costs would rise.

Amazon was dealt with by the publisher which has got to be one of the major requirements when choosing a self publishing publisher. I do know that there was only 500 books printed and 300 are in my dads garage so I think you were missinformed about needing to have loads printed.

I think the plan is to just try and sell as many as possible by any means but I',m sure there has got to be benefits of sellling through a shop or amazon even if it is to just be noticed on the amazon rankings. A friend of mine got everyone he knew to buy a book in the same time on amazon and managed to get to 45 in the weekly sales chart- didn't do a lot of good in the long run but its got to have done more than just reducing the amount in storage

Back