• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

america or just me?

honeydevil

what are Americans doing the whole day? Are they (how everybody says) just eating, watching TV and sleep? okay once in a while go to work...
I'm just curious, i moved to america for a year and my life changed completely, when i was still in germany i liked watching TV and this stuff, because i had no time to do it, but since i'm here i'm not doing anything else than watching other people live their life and i'm curious if it is just me or is it a kind of a philosophy? help me out here.

Compared with other nations, Americans work more than almost everyone, and take less vacation time than almost everyone. ( I saw this somewhere recently, but can't remember exactly) I know a lot of people myself that have hobbies, outside of their 40+ workweek. Gardening, sewing, home improvement, doing things with/for their children and such. But I do know that some Americans have no hobbies or interests other than work and tv. Maybe you are seeing just a narrow section of the overall picture.

Americans work more than almost everyone, and take less vacation time than almost everyone
I think you're forgetting China in its entirety. Nobody works harder than the chinese.

Cheers

honeydevil,
You live in a place that's packed full of retirees and is a vacation spot. That might account for your unusual impression.

cajunmama - you're correct in the amount of work Americans do (as well as Martin is re: Chinese and don't forget the Japanese!). I've lived there and here and I wouldn't go back to the US. We have an American locum here and he'll be working 4 months and get a months paid holiday. I have already, 7 and 1/2 weeks holidays and 4 months sick leave stored up. We celebrate Easter Tuesday for crying out loud!

Ahhhhh... the Holiday Isle

Don't forget us Dutch! We work, you know ... every now and again.

What? My point, you ask? I resent the fact that you even have to ask.

*walks off

Cheers

cajunmama is correct in what she meant to say....the work week in the U.S. is higher than "most" countries and we take less time off from work than "most". The U.S. also has one of the highest, if not the highest, productivity rates in the world.

novella is also correct instating that Florida is a place full of retirees and is not entirely representative of the rest of the country.

I watch very little TV. I prefer reading, gardening, and taking pictures of all the wild bear that visit my backyard.

I think the country is entirely irrelevant to how often you work ... its down to the company and the individual - I work six days a week most weeks, I work bank holidays ... hell I'd probably be working at Christmas if there wasnt some law about it :D

Phil

i work 24 hours a day, no benefits, no health plan, no vacation, no coffee breaks, no salary, yet i hear people say all the time how being a stay at home mom is one of the most important jobs in the world. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

*disclaimer* of course my children are huge benefits and i love staying home with them, but every so often i think, i want a coffee break!!!!

btw muggle, groovy avatar!!!

jenngorham said:
i work 24 hours a day, no benefits, no health plan, no vacation, no coffee breaks, no salary, yet i hear people say all the time how being a stay at home mom is one of the most important jobs in the world. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

*disclaimer* of course my children are huge benefits and i love staying home with them, but every so often i think, i want a coffee break!!!!

I'm with you, sister!!! Talk about overworked and underpaid!!

i just know that my mum, my real mum works 5 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day, and raised two damned daughter and a husband.
my dad on the other hand works 7 days a week about 12 to 14 hours a day (has his own business, just to be fair), but since i'm in retireree florida, my hostmum is at home and my hostdad works maybe 5 days a week with 8 to 10 hours, but to be fair he works evernings and weekends.

Back