• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

And it continues - Conde Nast shutters four magazines

Hugh

Print Back to story

Conde Nast magazines shut as review bites
By Robert MacMillan and Paul Thomasch Robert Macmillan And Paul Thomasch
Mon Oct 5, 6:01 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Conde Nast will close four magazines -- Modern Bride, Elegant Bride, Gourmet, and Cookie -- following a review the publisher undertook to find ways to reduce costs and staff in the face of a slump in advertising.

The decision is among the clearest signs yet of severe cost cuts at the publishing house best known for magazines such as The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and Vogue. Those cuts follow a study from McKinsey & Co consultants who were brought in by management this summer.

Word of the cuts had loomed over Conde Nast since then, leading to speculation that they could even touch the expense accounts of editors such as fashion magazine Vogue's U.S. chief Anna Wintour, considered the inspiration for the editor portrayed in the book and film "The Devil Wears Prada."

The company said the review has been completed. It is unclear whether Monday's announcement is the last.

For some readers, closing Gourmet, which some fear could lead to the sacking of its editor Ruth Reichl, was the most painful move. The magazine is revered among home chefs and Reichl is one of the food writing business's most popular figures.

On the Twitter social network, a news feed called "@savegourmet" appeared on Monday.

Reichl did not respond to an e-mail message seeking comment.

Media bloggers and other scribes have searched for signs that publishers and editors would see big, painful cuts -- from first-class travel to gourmet meals at the Frank Gehry-designed cafeteria.

Conde Nast previously closed its Portfolio business magazine and home decor magazine Domino and had trimmed spending across the company.

The latest magazine shutdowns "combined with cost and workforce reductions now under way throughout the company, will speed the recovery of our current businesses and enable us to pursue new ventures," Chief Executive Chuck Townsend said on Monday in a memo to staff.

About 180 employees will lose their jobs in the cuts, a Conde Nast spokeswoman said.

With the shutdown of Modern Bride and Elegant Bride, a third wedding magazine, Brides, will increase its publication schedule to monthly from once every two months. As for Gourmet, Conde Nast said it remains committed to the brand and would continue Gourmet's book publishing and TV programing.

The company is far from being the only U.S. publisher to suffer circulation and advertising revenue declines as readers go online and advertisers slash budgets because of the recession. It is, however, one of the most conspicuous.

The privately-held company, headquartered in New York City's Times Square, has long enjoyed a reputation as sophisticated as the one depicted in its glossy fashion magazines.

A roster of high-priced editors such as Wintour and Vanity Fair's Graydon Carter, and the image of a staff leading an exhausting but glamorous lifestyle ensures that when Conde Nast tightens budgets it becomes big news for the movers and shakers in New York's media, fashion and advertising worlds.

The announcement that the magazines are closing comes after a source told Reuters on Friday that Conde Nast may work with Time Warner's Time Inc, Hearst Corp and others to set up a digital newsstand for people to read magazines, and get charged for them, on mobile devices such as electronic book readers.

(Reporting by Paul Thomasch and Robert MacMillan; editing by Gunna Dickson and Carol Bishopric)

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.Questions or CommentsPrivacy PolicyTerms of ServiceCopyright/IP Policy

It sounds like the readers are really going to miss it. I feel sympathy for them.

By KATY MCLAUGHLIN
For the food world, hearing that Gourmet magazine will shut down is like seeing a giant souffle fall.

"It's pretty sad news. It's an institution," says Jean-Georges Vongerichten, a chef and restaurateur with 29 high-end restaurants around the world.

Gourmet has long been viewed by chefs, restaurateurs and the rest of the food world as one of the most prestigious food magazines, covering high-end restaurants and luxury vacations. Its editor, Ruth Reichl, dedicated many articles to issues of food politics, organic farming and artisanal food producers, giving the publication a reputation for intellectual rigor.

Ms. Reichl also brought in famous writers, including Maya Angelou and the late David Foster Wallace, creating a sense of the magazine as a literary salon whose point of departure was food.

Mr. Vongerichten began reading the magazine in the 1980s while living in Bangkok, using it to learn about food trends around the world. Later, when his own restaurants were covered in the magazine, Gourmet, he says, "helped me get known internationally."

"The world looked at you in a different way" once you were reviewed in Gourmet, Mr. Vongerichten says. "It helped make me what I am today."

José Andrés, a Washington, D.C., chef with seven restaurants there and a restaurant in Beverly Hills, says Gourmet's demise signals how severe the financial crisis is for food and restaurant companies. "It was so unique and powerful in the gastronomic world," said Mr. Andrés.

Tom Walton, a restaurant publicist in the San Francisco Bay Area, said that back when the magazine reviewed a restaurant in San Francisco several times a year, a positive review for a client's restaurant in Gourmet was the most powerful attention in the industry.

Gourmet's circulation has remained at or near its peak for the past decade, at 978,000 as of the end of June, though newsstand sales plunged 25% from the year-earlier month, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations. Gourmet has had to compete with food-related Web sites, which are often free and contain up-to-the-minute content.

Mr. Vongerichten said he is a current Gourmet subscriber, but concedes, "Even I look up information on restaurants on the Internet when I travel, to see what's good or bad."

Write to Katy McLaughlin at katy.mclaughlin@wsj.com

The demise of Gourmet bothers me a bit and I am indifferent o the demise of Cookie; however, I am happy to see the demise of the bridal magazines.

LOL! I never really understood bridal magazines - are there women out there who make a career out of being brides?

As a man ever fearful of being hit by one, the considerable heft of bridal magazines has always concerned me.

Back