• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

And then they all died

Originally posted by Oponn
... But it's got talking mice... that makes it good. Right?

RIGHT!?!

LOL

Originally posted by phil_t
snip/
Personally, i find it very amusing when they kill off all the characters at the end of series - Blake's Seven was a particular highlight .... whats that, popular series by the BBC?? Screw that, lets have them all mowed down in a climactic firefight!! Hilarious stuff :p

Phil :)

I hated that. I thought Blakes 7 was the best. Then in one fell swoop - - - SPLAT - - - they were dead. They are looking at a remake or movie , not sure I'll have to have a surf and find out

Originally posted by fluffy bunny
I've got a feling you'll like
GRR Martin's 'A song of Ice and Fire' series
- the way that's going so far everyone's going to snuff it by the end.
/snip
Agree here. Gearge keep things happening, you just do not know who will die, when, and killed by who. I'll re-read this when the next one comes out.
Oh no talking mice either.

Suprised no-one has mentioned R. Jordan. A series that has lost it's way big time. the WOT. I have actually read the series twice.

But don't you feel cheated somehow when the hero dies? I did when I read Mercedes Lackey books about Vanyel. I didn't finish them once Vanyel died, and I haven't picked up a book of hers since. I felt like I was being jerked around in the sentimental area. It's like killing the dog. Blah

It depends on the context and the nature of the death to me. Everybody dies after all (well apart from the immortal and they often screw it up somehow ;) ).

Death and the birth of something greater (or the decay left after the departing of a great soul) are universal themes in the mythology of many cultures. The best stories stand the test of time, and are told time and time again- there may be minor variations/dressing but the major themes essentially stay the same.

Death done well (the repercussions etc) can be an entertaining read. Death of a character can be the natural ending for a story as long as it's handled correctly and doesn't come across as "the author ran out of steam and couldn't think where this was going, so (s)he killed x off."

Back