• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Lamott

StillILearn

Anybody else here love the irreverent, funny-but-fierce style of this woman?

The next day, news from Iraq battered that equilibrium, and she wrote that "...trying to love the people in this White House is the single most subversive position I could take.''

:D

I truly love her book Bird by Bird. I think it's essential reading for all students of writing and all writers. She conveys so much good advice in such clear, funny, concise prose. Also, she uses self-deprecation to great effect.

I bought Operating Instructions, the one she wrote about her infant/child, but for some reason it didn't suit my taste at the time. I'll probably pull it off the shelf again someday.

I read that book and I intend to read it again -- soon. Some reviewers are beginning to beat up on her for continuing to write in her self-depreciatory way (as well as for becoming a Christian.)

I just read "Plan B" and I completely forgive her for both because she makes me laugh out loud, and also because she shares my political views and expresses them so much more effectively than I can.

Was it Annie Dillard who wrote "Word by Word"?

Back