• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Perry

SeoulMan

Any Anne Perry readers out there?

I confess she's one of my guilty pleasures. I wasn't familiar with her work until two years ago. I was at a garage sale and picked up a whole box of books they were trying to get rid of for only $1. I just took it all. In the box was some Anne Perry books. I read The Cater Street Hangman and just loved it. It's a murder mystery set in Victorian England but it also had a love story element and, to this day, it is one of the better love stories I've read in my life. (This is not really saying much because I don't read love stories. Oh no I don't.)

I also read (from the garage sale box) The Face of a Stranger about a guy who wakes up and, due to amnesia, doesn't know who he is. He discovers over the course of the day that he's a detective working a case, so he has to try to conceal his condition from his supervisor while trying to solve a case while trying to figure out his identity. They should make a movie out of this novel.

She's a light read but she's not a bad writer at all.

Never tried her. The only thing I know about her is from Heavenly Creatures. There's something eerie about a convicted murderer writing crime novels. Still, I guess it's best she writes about something she knows. :whistling:

Never tried her. The only thing I know about her is from Heavenly Creatures. There's something eerie about a convicted murderer writing crime novels. Still, I guess it's best she writes about something she knows. :whistling:
/jaw drops/
Yeah, eerie alright!
Downright creepy considering the viciousness of the crime.
:eek:

Yes, she committed that crime a wee bit ago and perhaps she should be in prison, but as for her writing, she ain't half bad.

Favorite author

Perry is my favorite author, bar none. Love of her books led me to other Victorian novels and to my now writing one. This lady has written more than 60 books, The Pitt Mystery series; the Monk Mysteries series, The World War I series, five Christmas mysteries, two fantasies, and several others. A movie adaption was made of her first novel, Cater Street Hangman.
She really cannot be dismissed as a light writer. Her novels address the social ills of Victorian England as well as tell a good mystery.
Yes, she was involved in a crime when young but there is nothing creepy about her books and I have heard her be very honest about that time in her life during interviews.
Sorry, I guess I am passionate about her.
I own nearly every one of her books and if anyone would like to discuss any of them with me, I'd enjoy that.

Back