• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Rice

Motokid

No more Vampires - Now it's all for the lord....

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9785289/site/newsweek/

Which books will be more popular? Death, blood and sex....or Jesus Christ?

"In two weeks, Anne Rice, the chronicler of vampires, witches and—under the pseudonym A. N. Roquelaure—of soft-core S&M encounters, will publish "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt," a novel about the 7-year-old Jesus, narrated by Christ himself. "I promised," she says, "that from now on I would write only for the Lord."

I was going to create a thread about this, but thought it was too touchy.:eek: :eek: Kudos to Moto for having the guts to start it.:) I'm just.....shocked. I have Interview with the Vampire, but no other books of hers. From what I understand, she is coming out with a new christian book. Time magazine compared it to Bob Dylan's "born again" phase which in his case.......was just really weird. I never really planned on buying her books before, but I definitely won't now as I already know pretty much what they would be about. I think she is really going to hurt her career, but who knows?, maybe enough people interested in the whole religious book thing will keep her career afloat.:confused:

Her sales were flagging on account of her books becoming progressively crap. This is the sort of thing that will launch her into a mainstream psyche since it is "controversial" in the same way that some perceive The Da Vinci Code to be.

Too touchie???? phhttthhppp...the only thing touchie is whether or not you are willing to admit you have read and/or liked Anne Rice's past work.

I loved Lestat and Interview.

As for Rice's "career move"...she probably doesn't care...she's made a permanent mark plus had a few Hollywood movies made. She's got enough money and fame to last her the rest of her life.

I won't be buying her works "for the lord" however....

I'll admit it, I read Interview. I was young, foolish, and didn't know any better. Not only that, but I read it after viewing the movie.:eek:

I read the Chronicles up to Memnoch the Devil which was, unlike everyone else, my favourite of the five. I've tried other novels by her - this is going back a while! - but I've never finished them: Servant of the Bones, The Witching Hour, Vittorio, The Vampire Armand, Blood and Gold, etc.

You guys think it will last?:confused: I mean Bob Dylan and Larry Flynt went through the same kind of thing.:eek: Perhaps it's a personality reflex or something, I just don't see something like that *sticking* with certain personalities and temperments.

When a author/musician/etc suddenly goes religious its usually a good indication that you should avoid anything he/she does from then on.

I may be crucified for this opinion -

I'm not sorry to see Rice heading in a new direction. The only book she wrote that I really enjoyed was The Mummy or Ramses the Damned. I'm very disappointed that she never wrote the sequel to this book that she promised to publish.

In all honesty, I've been "vampired" to death.

Thanks for listening to my $.02.

The Prussian :)

I am a huge Anne Rice fan. I have bought a bunch of her Vampire books and I love them all. I don't know about this new one though I'm not really into reading religious books. But I like her books so I might check it out of the library, but I'm in no hurry for this one. :eek:

I would give it a try from the library.

The first person point of view of Jesus as a 7 year old. It has the possibility of being an interesting read. All depends on how preachy it is.....

But as a novelty just to see how the vampire women writes for Jesus I'd surely check it out of the library.

CDA said:
Looks like a bunch of hippy crap to me.

And her other books are just goth crap...

Anyway, I'm glad that she has gone in this direction. I can't stand books about vampires and serial killers and so forth.

Stewart said:
Her sales were flagging on account of her books becoming progressively crap.

Yep. The Vampire Lestat was a fantastic piece of work. Queen of the Damned, wasn't quite so good. And things progressed downhill from there.

Vittorio the Vampire was one of the worst books I've ever read.

I guess I wasn't surprised to see her new book out. I new she wasn't doing the vampire thing anymore, which dissappointed me, but how much farther could she have gone with it anyway?

She's always been open with her beliefs and I don't think she's got anything to lose.

Back