• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Annotated Bibles

SFG75

About five years ago, I purchased the NASB MacArthur study Bible as recommended by a friend. I found the book in a religious bookstore in Estes Park and decided to shell out the $60.00 to see what it was about. This study bible is thick with references, a concordance, more maps of the ancient world than you can shake a stick at, as well as descriptions at the bottom of every page outlining the historical and cultural significance of certain verses. This morning, I happened to see a post on facebook from Sam Harris. It turns out, that a Skeptic's Annotated Bible has just recently been released. I'm one who appreciates all viewpoints in a debate and I'm looking forward to cross-referencing these two books together. I make this post merely to highlight these two study books and the excitement that I have for their respective points. If you feel the need to share other resources, please, by all means do so.

I'm impressed by your interest in wading into such detail regarding The Bible (capital T). I haven't been able to get much interested in textual comparisons, even when the texts are as different as, say, the King James and the Jefferson Bibles. But Google does unearth a whole big bunch of books on contradictions in the Bible (when you search for "Atheist Bible" IIRC, and which don't interest me).

However, if you are reading broader than the Biblical Canon, then I can't help but mention The Good Book: A Humanist Bible by A.C.Grayling. It is definitely opens a window into a totally different non-Biblical direction, and might be interesting to you (or others) in a broader sense. If I remember correctly, it claims to cover the same ground as the Bible (even emulating its textual structure of books, chapters and verses) but with selections from secular philosophical literature.

It sure is different! (Two pages were enough for me.) :)

And now back to regular programming. (Or perhaps a new thread if you or the moderators wish to split this off.)

The Ryrie Study Bible is less pricey option that has annotations, marginal references, concordance, maps, and more.

The Ryrie Study Bible is less pricey option that has annotations, marginal references, concordance, maps, and more.

Thanks O!, :) I haven't heard of that one but I have it on my "wish list" to purchase the next time I get paid.

Halley's Bible Commentary
http://www.amazon.com/Halleys-Bible...834832&sr=1-2&keywords=halleys+bible+handbook

I find that one quite a bit in used bookstores. I like how it uses archaeology of ancient cities, as well as historical accounts of ancient leaders mentioned in the Bible as references to certain events.

Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance
http://www.amazon.com/Strongs-Expan...31&sr=1-1&keywords=strong's+bible+concordance

I have one of these from the '70s and use it from time to time. I might have to get this newest version though. :D

Back