• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Another help find book posting...

alan2home

I am looking for a book I read in Jr. High. I believe it was somewhere near the N's, though not Alan E. Nourse or Andre Norton. Also, I think the title might have had the word "Beyond" in it.
The story was set in the far future with space travel. The main character was an "agent" that hunted down telepathic people. On this particular planet, he was hunting a boy and his dog. Turns out the agent (I think) was telepathic also. There was a psychic bond between the boy and dog. Vaguely I remember that the boy had avoided discovery because he had taken on some other kids identity.

Kind of vague, but hopefully someone can remember it. After 30 years, my recollection is fading.

Don't know how much use my suggestion will make, but here goes:-

Could it be a short story by Anne McCaffrey? She wrote a book of Short stories called 'Get of the Unicorn' There are 2 stories in there which might match (get confused together).
The great canine chorus - Young bed confined boy, telepathic, who communicates with dogs in his local area including a beat policemans' K-9.
Finders Keepers - young telepathic boy who can 'find' missing items. Mother and he have to keep moving and changing names, I think, to prevent an unscrupulous insurance agent from finding them and using boys telepathic powers for his own profit.

I think the book was written approximately 30 years+ ago, although I could be wrong.

Your synopsis seems vaguely familiar (I think I have read it somewhere before), but unfortunately I haven't read the book and don't know what it's called. Sorry! :)

Thank you both for your replies... I obsessively kept at it till I actually did find the book. And I will never doubt my memory again. It is "The Beyond" by Jean and Jeff Sutton. Having just reread it, my earlier description was very accurate. Unfortunately, while it was great to re-read a book that really got me on the path to science fiction, it really isn't that great a book. Although I would have to say it is pretty representative of Space Opera from that era (1964). Thanks again!

Back