• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Another looking for something new post.

Moji

Well, I am lazy and want help finding a new series of books to read. Books I have read and liked are Most of the Dragonlance books, The Hobbit/LOTR/Simalirian(sp?), The Dark Tower series, and The Mallorean/Belgariad. Based on these being the ones I have liked the most, I am looking for a new series to start. I don't really want another Fantasy series, but otherwise I am open for all suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Moji

if you are into sci-fi you could try the Harry Harrison's "stainless steel rat "series or his Eden series or the classic Asimov Foundation series plus his robot series and if you want something a little different in fantasy you could try Stephen R. Donaldson series "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant".
enjoy.

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. I looked into your recommendations. The Harry Harrison books seem like they may be a little quirky to me, and I didn't get a good vibed from them. The Asimov foundation sounded pretty interesting. My only concern is if they will seem a little dry. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant sound the most promising to me. I will have to keep it in mind.

Moji

The Gap seris by Donaldson or The Reality Dysfunction series by Hamilton.

Enjoyed both a lot

The Urth Of The New Sun series by Gene Wolfe

Running With The Demon, A Knight Of The Word and Angel Fire East by Terry Brooks

The Runelords series By David Farland

The Book Of Words trilogy by J.V. Jones

The Farseeker trilogy by Robin Hobb

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

You might just like Pullmans books then, His Dark Materials or maybe the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander, the chronicles of Narnia are also very good.

The Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny
There are to series both of five short books. I recommend that you don't read the second series as it really didn't seem to have a point. It seems to be leading up to an amazing third series, but nothing ever materialized.

The Flight of the Maita series by C. D. Moulton if you like all different kinds of thinsg with SF and fantasy and some really funny ones. Now You See It/Now You Don't is all three. The only problem is finding them.

Great big "I'll second thats" to Donaldson's Covenant and Gap series, and to Gene Wolf's Urth of the New Sun. I also like SRD's two-part series Mirror of Her Dream/A Man Rides Through.

O

If you want a fantasy to rival LOTR:

Wolfe's book of the new sun - Takes some getting used to the way he writes though, and some people find that the book doesn't really shine through until the reread. One of those that's a blend of fantasy and science fiction, with dips into other genres.

Eddison's Worm Oroborus (a bit flowery on the poetry though)

Based on your Eddings and Dragonlance picks though, I'd go and have a look at Robin Hobb's books

Hi Moji, if you like Dragonlance you should try the DeathGate Cycle series! This is by the same two authors and surpass's (by far) the Dragonalance series! It is 7 books long and is so very interesting I was gripped till the end.

Back