• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Antique Books

Synthet Lullaby

If an online buisness where to make antique books ranging from early 1800s to mid 1900s availabe for sale, what do you think the response would be? Bad sales? Good Sales?

Frankly, I think the response would be poor. Any books of the period which would be worth any money would be far more likely to be bought via eBay, or from established book dealers. That is, collectors looking for specific titles would do business with established dealers.
The other type of customer for books of that period would be people who are looking to decorate with them. They aren't fussy about titles, but are used to buying such books by the yard, literally, for next to nothing.
What's more, "antique" means something very different when it comes to books. For a book to be worth something strictly because of its age, it would have to be pre-1800 (and probably pre-1770) in America, and much older still in Europe.

I agree with Funes. I have a few books that are ancient, all of which were bought for me because I like really old books, the smell, the feel and the language used. I also like the fact one of them has a childs name printed on the inside cover from the 1800's and it's nice to imagine that there have been 3 or 4 generations of her family in existence before I was born, yet I am holding the book that person read as a child.
One thing these books have in common is that they can all be picked up dirt cheap in a local bookstore - which is why you may have a problem with the costs online. Yes, you can buy lots of them for cheap, but will they sell? And, is so, will they cover the postage? I think you would need to have other books for sale to accommodate this, as well as have a service to seek out specific books for the buyer.

In other news, a first edition of Austen's Pride and Prejudice goes under the hammer (I think today) expecting to reach £12,000.

Mxx

I agree with funes and murphyz. If I were to buy antique books, I'd want to go into a store to see the books and examine them.

Do many collectors buy online, or do they prefer "real" bookstores?

The only books I ever buy online are brand new ones from amazon, but that's very rare, or ones that are out of print - and that's usually from ebay. I prefer to have the book in my hand before buying it, and there are many times when I have sifted through a whole shelf of the same book in Waterstones until I have the one I feel is in the best condition.

Anyone else do this or is it just me? :D

Mxx

murphyz said:
Anyone else do this or is it just me?
Nope. Me too. I sometimes buy books online (at bol.com) but that is only if I absolutely can't find that particular book in the shops. I also like to browse the bookshelf, looking for that one copy that doesn't have that slight fold on the cover, or that tiny crease on the spine. I also look for the one with the most eye-catching cover (I'm very susceptible to covers, apparently. If a book has a cover that catches my eye, with bright colours, big letters, a funny or interesting pictute, etc... I immediately grab it and read the back).

Cheers, Martin :D

to kill the cliche of never judging a book by it's cover I nipped into the childrens section of Waterstones the other night, just to see what's new in the world of kids books. I managed to bypass the shiny covers of Artemis Fowl alright, but my eye caught on a book of which I can't remember it's name (even though it struck me at the time as having a good title) and the cover of the book was of a material that felt like a peach.

I'm not sure the lady who was putting books back on the shelves looked too kindly upon my standing in the children's section and stroking books :(

Mxx

The cover of a book can also completely put me off. For instance, there is this omnibus of Sherlock Holmes-stories in stores, with this really crappy picture of an old man dressed as Sherlock (complete with pipe, magnifying glass, and that silly hat) on the cover. Well, just remove the dust jacket I hear you say. Wouldn't work, because under it, on the actual hardback cover, was the exact same picture. I wouldn't be caught dead with that on my shelf. To bad, because I think I would like the stories.
Also, I bought this collection of short stories by T. C. Boyle. Enjoyed it, but never kept it on my shelf. It's in a plastic bag on the attic somewhere, I believe. I instantly removed it, because, right there on the spine, the one bit of the book you can actually see when it's on the shelf, there was this horrible picture of the author, with a downright awful goatee (check out the link, just for fun). I don't want that on my precious shelf.

That's it, really...

Oh, and murphyz, we know you love books, but please don't fondle them in public, do that in the privacy of your own home. People might be offended by it. :p

Cheers, Martin :D

(I deny ever editing this post)

Although I would love the idea of purchasing vintage books online from a reputable online dealer, and would definitley spend money purchasing one, I am not sure how many people are like me who would. I would have to agree with one of the previous replies that talked about e-bay and amazon.com taking most of the buissness. Good idea though.

Back