• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any decent TV shows?

Martin

So, lately I've been on the lookout for some good television shows; do you guys have any suggestions?

I'm thinking along the lines of Carnivale, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, that kind of stuff, but feel free to recommend anything you think I'd like. Just be sure to motivate your recommendations, ok?

I'm waiting ...

I'm not current with pay-channel televisions shows, but House on Fox and Nip/Tuck on Fx are pretty damn interesting. I don't, however, recommend the Badgers clip in the testing area of this forum.

Edit: I forgot to mention Lost and Numbers.

House; could you give a synopsis?

I've seen one ep. of Nip/Tuck, and didn't really like it. I'm an avid follower of Lost (halfway through the first season over here), and I've been hearing good stuff about Numb3rs.

Other recommendations I've had - The 4400, , Wonderfalls (which, I believe, was canceled), and the new Battlestar Galactica. Can anyone confirm these?

Martin said:
House; could you give a synopsis?
House is like ER but with balls and lots of sarcasm. Hugh Laurie plays Doctor House, a pissy doctor with a bum leg who is hooked on pain killers. Each episode is a separate, bizarre case that the group of doctors under House must diagnose. Very interesting stuff.

Edit: here's a link.

So a comedy, then? Sounds pretty good, actually; I like ER, I like sarcasm (no, really? Yes, really.), so this should be a winner.

Thanks.

House is actually considered a drama... it's also been nominated for a few Emmy's under the Drama category. I like it a lot. Like every other genre, there's humor in it... but that doesn't necessarily make it a comedy. ;) (It's not like Scrubs or anything)

How about Arrested Development (funny as hell!)?
Desperate Housewives...
My boyfriend and I saw the first episode of Numb3rs... it was great, but we never kept up with it...
Medium is pretty interesting, it has Patricia Arquette as a... well...medium.

A drama, then. Even better, because I'm not really looking for comedy. So, that excludes Arrested Development.

Desperate Housewifes I'm already watching.

A second recommendation of Numb3rs, so I'll be sure to give that a go, if I ever stumble across it. Medium I've never heard of. I'll look into it. Same with Threshold, over from the other thread.

Muchos gracias.

I suggest a TV show called Pretender. Its about a guy who is very smart and is often diffrent people to investergate or help people out ect. I also suggest a TV show called Invisible Man. Its of a guy with a gland in his head which makes him turn invisible.

Every show you listed in your first post is an HBO series, so maybe you would like their new show Rome .

Wonderfulls is pretty good and you can catch reruns of it LOGO.

Martin said:
Other recommendations I've had - The 4400, , Wonderfalls (which, I believe, was canceled), and the new Battlestar Galactica. Can anyone confirm these?

One of my partners likes to watch The 4400. I've only seen a couple episodes and even then I only half pay attention. It seems like a decent show though. The acting isn't bad and the overall story seems kind of interesting.

There is another show on either before it or after it that he likes as well. It's called The Dead Zone. The series is based on Stephen King's novel and stars Anthony Michael Hall. I've seen little bits and pieces of it, and it seems OK as well. Plus, Anthony Michael Hall has gotten quite hot as an adult, so it gets points for that.

Anthony Michael Hall - why does that name sound so familiar?

Thanks for the recommendations, all, and keep 'em coming!

Stewart said:
He used to advertise coffee.

actually anthony michael hall is famous for being in 80's movies like the breakfast club. i think you are thinking of anthony stewart head who did coffee commercials and then did the buffy show.

i like medium a lot. i like patricia arquette's character, and the relationship she has with her family. it's a good twist on for a crime drama.

Stewart, the Sopranos is, in my opinion, the best TV programme ever made.

get series 1 on DVD and kick on from there. Over 13 hours for around £30 now and you'll go back to them again and again.

I own all 5 series and I think they are a great investment.

Back