• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any opinions re the petitions to secede

canuck

Have been reading about various petitions being circulated among people unhappy with the election results who want to secede from the Union. What is your opinion about something like this?

Well, it worked so well last time they tried it.

I liked this comment.

The odds of the American government granting any state permission to go its own way are on par with winning the lottery while getting hit by a meteor while seeing Bigfoot while finding gluten-free pizza that tastes like the real thing.

But fess up, you're just worried about Tea Partiers moving to Canada, aren't you? :p

Childish temper tantrums not really grounded in reality.

However, I do believe that if a majority of the population of any particular state expresses the desire to secede from the Republic then they should be allowed to do so.

Of course, the USA has not been a true Republic for quite some time now, so the point is moot.

I agree with the folks that are saying that this basically boils down to a child throwing a temper tantrum and saying that they are running away. Things may not be going to so well in this country, but the other guy getting elected wouldn't have changed that. (For the record, I didn't vote for either of the 2 main guys). Not to mention, they may seem bad, but we still have it pretty good here in America. If they think breaking away and starting their own country will make things better, they are sorely mistaken.

I think it is more like a depressed person talking about suicide. In most cases, they don't really want to die, they just want somebody to see that they need help.

Is it a coincidence that the states that want to leave include those with the lowest levels of education and also receive the most federal dollars in aid?

A Czech friend of mine described the dissolution of Czechoslovakia back in the early 90s thusly:

SLOVAK FARMERS: Democracy sucks. Why should the Czechs get to run things just because there's more of them and they have all the modern factories and send us a lot of money?
CZECHS IN ARMANI SUITS: Oh dear. Well, if it's independence you want, we're not going to be assholes about it. All in favour? *raise hands* All opposed?
SLOVAKS: Hey, wait a minute -
CZECHS: Motion passed. Congratulations on your freedom, guys! Send us a turnip sometime.

Not saying the situation is similar, but...

I was under the misconception that Texas had at some point secured the right to secede from the Union. I recently found out that this is not true. However they do have the 15th largest economy in the world... And apparently they have the provision of being able to divide into five smaller states.
Yikes!! If we end up with four more states of Texas I will secede from the Union.

I think it is a bunch of nonsense personally.

Well, it worked so well last time they tried it.

But fess up, you're just worried about Tea Partiers moving to Canada, aren't you? :p
\

I think we have enough protesters about various other things here without inviting any other ones - there's a core group of folks who make their life's work heading up protests - not sure it does them a lot of good but they must feel they are accomplishing something. Now if they would put that amount of effort into getting a job that would be something unless, of course, they are being paid by someone to cause a ruckus! ;)

Back