• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Audio Books

nwee

Is listening to an audio book, equal to reading a book ? I am trying out my first audio book, for two reasons - one, for I cannot find a hard copy of the book that I am reading & secondly, I am hard pressed for time these days & have the e-book running on mp3 format in my CD player while I drive. And I find it quite agreeable. I am contemplating catching up on some of the classics that I've been post poning reading, some for a second-third time, others of authors I've read before but haven't had time to go through their other books (after reading one or two). What are your views on "reading" listening ? It's the mind and one other faculty (ears instead of the eyes) that are in action.

Though I have only listened to a very few audio books and, as you say, while driving on long trips, my experience has been very favorable. I think a lot must depend on the person doing the reading, but have no way of knowing how consistently good various readers might be. I listened to one espionage story many times and enjoyed hearing it each time. (And wish I knew the title now). And I listened to a reading by Sylvia Plath of her own poetry, which in its authentic realism made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. It was wonderful! Some day I'll get around to llistening to Lolita, read by Jeremy Irons, which I expect will be similarly fabulous. So I'm all in favor, but don't seem to find the right times any more. :sad:

A lot of it rests on the person who is reading it. Some can be wonderful (i.e. Jeremy Irons) and others not so much. I started listening to a promising book, but I didn't much care for the narrator so I'm going to be getting the actual book from the library at a later date.

I recently bought an audiobook for my own, even though I had the book in hardcover. Something compelled me to own The Children of Hurin on audio.

So the gist of the matter is, audio books are, quite an acceptable alternative for actually holding a book in one's hands, given the reader is acceptable, at least to some of us. And we still categorise it as "reading" a book.

So the gist of the matter is, audio books are, quite an acceptable alternative for actually holding a book in one's hands, given the reader is acceptable, at least to some of us. And we still categorise it as "reading" a book.
I vote for that -- unless one really wants to split hairs.
It takes the same amount of time, more or less, and one emerges with knowledge of the book's contents, able to fully enjoy it for one's self and discuss it with others -- like here, where we "talk" to one another and have "friends."
Why not?

Actually, hearing an accomplished reader's voice inflections might bring more to the enjoyment of the book than the flat printed word on the page. O,r at least, enjoyment from a different perspective. :confused:

I think a lot depends on the listener. Listening to a book requires a good degree of concentration, just as it does to sit and read the book with one's eyes. I don't hear so well, so audio books are more challenging for me than the printed page. I CAN hear the reader if I turn up the volume, but I also have to actively weed out the distractions around me, which often taxes my concentration to the point I need to rewind and listen again. Easier to do that with print than with a cd. I do better with audios in the car if I'm by myself.

I am a big fan of audiobooks, and I think they can greatly enhance the experience of the book. I just finished Ready Player One and I think if I read the paper version I would have missed out on an amazing experience. Will Wheaton was fantastic. Same with The Help--the narration was exceptional and immensely added to the experience.
I also can get through longer books easier when they are in audio. I also recently finished The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I don't believe I could have finished the paper version. Having it read to me was a good experience, and I felt I really needed to read this book. I also recently listened to David Copperfield and loved it.
I never just sit and listen. I listen when gardening, walking the dogs, driving, washing up dishes, and doing other mindless chores. I would fall asleep just sitting there!

Listening to books on a tape, CD, or MP3 is just as good as reading. I actually think in some cases it's a lot better. Some productions are full cast, but most are just one narrator. The advantage is that talented narrators have wide experience with bringing books to life with their tone. The disadvantage is that if you on occasion get an annoying narrator, you might want to throw the $40 CD.

Back