• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

August 2013: Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice

Yes me too, :) I will just have too reread it to refresh my memory, it has been a long time since I last read it.

ai lol there is a point at which analysis detracts from enjoyment of the book.

I have always loved the opening line of Pride and Prejudice. It is so delightfully presumptive and sets up the book so perfectly.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

subtext - whether he wants one or not

Ughhh. I had to read this in high school. I swear it was the most boring book ever. Definitely not for a teenage boy.

Oh I would agree about that, the maxim about education being wasted on the young rings true here. It's not until you are a tad bit older that you can truly appreciate a book like this.

Oh I would agree about that, the maxim about education being wasted on the young rings true here. It's not until you are a tad bit older that you can truly appreciate a book like this.

although personally I think there is much to benefit a younger reader of either sex :) but then I like Jane Austen and always have, even when I had to read her at school.

Yep, variation of the saying. Trust me, I'm hardly original in coming up with sayings, though I will gladly take credit for it. :)

Virginia Woolf being taught to 16 year old boys.......would have to take an amazing teacher.

The original title of the book was 'First Impressions' and while one can certainly see how many (all) of the characters judge people they meet, often quite harshly, based on their first impressions and preconceived notions - indeed the book starts with a huge preconception in it's opening line, in the end it is more about prejudice and its companion pride ('my impression of others is correct' and 'their impression of me is wrong because I am ...' is more or less how Jane Austen presents those two characteristics).

However despite dealing with these character flaws this book, of all Austen's in particular reads like any old romance novel, two people Elizabeth and Darcy meet, they take an instant disliking to each other, are separated and eventually Elizabeth is forced to reconsider her preconception of him because of his kindness to his sister and hers. Finally, overcoming all obstacles in their way they fall in love and live happily ever after.

I could go and pick up half a dozen 'novels' with a lurid cover, no a dozen, no a hundred, written with the same plot outline, and yet Austen can not be lumped in the same category because of her insightful way of examining human behaviour.

Last edited:
This is true. I have to say that pride and prejudice is one of those books in which everything and yet nothing much happens. At least to me there is a timeslessness in how the book was writen.

Good question!

I'd say no to both. Darcy is rather too controlling over his environment and the people in it. He likes to use both his money and influence gained through his status and £10.000 a year as quick solutions (both secretly and otherwise).
Though on the other hand I suppose it is sort of romantic for someone to try and save your family's reputation through any means necessary just so he can get the gal. :D

And Elizabeth is just haughty and too much of a know-it-all, if I were inclined that way.

I like Darcy better than Elizabeth but not by very much.

To answer my own question:

Absolutely not. I realise that the characters are a product of their time, and I may feel differently if I was also a product of that time, but I'm not and so I see the characters differently or maybe not. Every one was just too taken with appearances, and thinking about it, I'm not sure much has changed, and I don't much like it. It takes far too much energy being that concerned about what other people think, and as mostly people aren't thinking about you half as much as you think they are, its an epic waste of time.And more importantly it gets in the way of following your heart.

I've read the book two years ago but I did watch the 2005 movie adaptation twice on my holidays. It's one of my favorite books because it's a timeless story. And it's so much more than a love story, its a portrait of a time and a place and of human behaviour that is still current.

And to answer Meadow's question:
Would you marry Darcy / Elizabeth and why (or why not)?
Yes, I would marry Darcy if he felt for me the way he feels for Elizabeth.

I've read the book two years ago but I did watch the 2005 movie adaptation twice on my holidays. It's one of my favorite books because it's a timeless story. And it's so much more than a love story, its a portrait of a time and a place and of human behaviour that is still current.

And to answer Meadow's question:

Yes, I would marry Darcy if he felt for me the way he feels for Elizabeth.

I was tempted to feel that way but sometimes strong feelings must also be accompanied by compatibility of character and I'm not convinced I would find either of them compatible, however much I like their story.

Back