• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

August - What are you reading?

Ell

Just finished Coma by Robin Cook.

Currently:

- The Manticore by Robertson Davies
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (my first Jane Austen)
- The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey (my first Anne McCaffrey)

Reading Coma, and The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. The Coldfire Trilogy is slightly below average fantasy material IMO. But it has another 1 1/2 books to win me over. Next up will be Secret Prey by John Sanford.

Mike

Still reading 1916 and O Pioneers! (which I'm really enjoying)!

Ell, what do you think of Sense and Sensibility? I've read it twice and really enjoyed it, although Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Jane Austen book -- a very witty and entertaining look at personalities of that era.

I'm not too far into Sense and Sensibility yet, but I'm enjoying it so far - I'm to the part where the Dashwood women have moved to the cottage and Marianne has met Willoughby.

Good grief, but the women of that era spent a lot of time and energy on finding the "right man". Had to laugh when they described Col. Brandon as "elderly" at the age of 35!

Good grief, but the women of that era spent a lot of time and energy on finding the "right man". Had to laugh when they described Col. Brandon as "elderly" at the age of 35!

Haha, yes, I look at 35 with a much different perspective, now, that is. ;)

I could have learned alot about how to direct my energies had I read these books sooner in my life. Teehee, I know I'm silly today. Anyway, I suppose this was their only way to ensure survival, or should I say "a comfortable survival"?

Austen's women

It seems women could either marry (Austen's novels) or be governesses (The Brontes)...

No, silly me! There was another "career" for them: they could also become nuns!;)

Of course other authors of the time would say there was another profession for woman, though not as honorable...

the world's oldest profession.

sorry, ms austen

"Sense and Sensibility" is one of my all time favorites!

Right now I have just started reading "The Brothers Karamazov".

Back