• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Avid reader and book collector

Hi, all. I am glad to join. I found you by googling "book forum". I have always been a reader since as a child I discovered that reading could open up worlds beyond the small Southern town where I grew up. Reading has long been a friend and constant companion. My particular passions are: science fiction, apocolyptical fiction. classic modern fiction (Truman Capote to Richard Matheson, Jack Ketchum to May Sarton), the classics (Fitzgerald, Poe, Maughm, Henry James, Jane Austin among others) and poetry (Jim Carroll, James Russell Lowell, Edward Guest, Marge Piercy). I believe the height of success is to own a fabulous library full of books not yet read and well loved books you'd love to read again. To this end, I have been working to build such a library. I have a particular fondness for author signed and finely bound books. My signed books vary from Vonnegut to Tennessee Williams to Truman Capote, William Styron, Stephen King, Harper Lee and more. The finely bound books are by some of those authors as well as many others and are generally leather bound from private presses like Easton, Franklin and Southern Collectors Library. First edition books (many of them signed) are a big part of my collection. Are there others of you out there who collect? In what areas do you collect? I have posted one other time on this forum in the "What books have you purchased recently?" thread. I am looking forward to meeting some of you and finding out what we have in common. A love of Reading is a great place to start.;)

Thanks for Welcome and to Joderu95

Thanks to those who welcomed me to Book and Reader. I do enjoy it here. I have even uploaded an album with covers of favorite books and some favorite pieces of art in my home.

Many thanks to joderu95 who suggested I read Harry Crew. I went to Amazon to investigate and ordered The Harry Crew Reader and another one he wrote about snakes (or snake handlers I suspect). It turns out that Crew is from South Georgia and though one of his books is about Florida, I get the impression that his books are centered in the Deep South. While I was there, I also picked up an anthology of Southern short stories and The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor. It amazes me that as much as I love Southern writers, I have never gotten around to these writers. I also own The Stories of William Faulkner (a true Southern writer) and have only read one of the stories. I was putting the book in the bookcase and just could not help but open it and read the first story (which was excellent). Thanks to you, I now have a very good start at exploring more fully writers from the South. I am from Arkansas and though I have lived in Northern California for 20+ years, I still relate very "Southern".

I'm new here myself, but welcome!

What do I collect? I don't really collect books - I get most of mine from the library. There are a few particularly memorable titles that I may buy just to have at some point - perhaps some of Stephen King's work or some classics like Les Miserables or The Count of Monte Cristo.

I do tend to hang on to how-to and reference books that I can refer back to later, but with so much information available for free on the internet, I don't buy many of those either.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

J

Thanks to those who welcomed me to Book and Reader. I do enjoy it here. I have even uploaded an album with covers of favorite books and some favorite pieces of art in my home.

Many thanks to joderu95 who suggested I read Harry Crew. I went to Amazon to investigate and ordered The Harry Crew Reader and another one he wrote about snakes (or snake handlers I suspect). It turns out that Crew is from South Georgia and though one of his books is about Florida, I get the impression that his books are centered in the Deep South. While I was there, I also picked up an anthology of Southern short stories and The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor. It amazes me that as much as I love Southern writers, I have never gotten around to these writers. I also own The Stories of William Faulkner (a true Southern writer) and have only read one of the stories. I was putting the book in the bookcase and just could not help but open it and read the first story (which was excellent). Thanks to you, I now have a very good start at exploring more fully writers from the South. I am from Arkansas and though I have lived in Northern California for 20+ years, I still relate very "Southern".

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it. I might have to get that book too.

Back