• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Awestruck

dele

I was reading a post the other day, and it got me thinking how so many people, from so many different parts of the world, with so many different backgrounds, cultures and even languages can all come together and share experiences and form friendships all because we read books. I think it's really incredible that words written on bound pieces of paper can bring together such a diverse community of people!

Call me sentimental or simple, but I just wanted to share that with you guys.

It is kinda cool, isn't it? I sometimes just marvel about the internet - who'd have thought this was ever going to be possible!?

It's a good time to live in.

Cheers

Martin said:
It is kinda cool, isn't it? I sometimes just marvel about the internet - who'd have thought this was ever going to be possible!?

Me. I knew it would.

Mind control. Sick, isn't it? But it turned out to be even more than I could have imagined. Rewarding in several ways.

Right

I think you are quite right, I have the same feeling which is great especially because some people think that computers threaten the written word and make us love books less. As I said before I'm happy to discover that the internet can be a virtual meeting place for booklovers all around the world. We can contradict the pessimistic view that the pleasure of reading will be forgotten because of TV or computer addiction.

I used to chat on IRC a lot from '93 'til around '99 when I used to have fewer obligations and could spend countless hours online. It was a lot of fun talking to people from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and a lot of other places that I've forgotten. Even had the chance to meet about thirty or forty people that I'd talked to on numerous occasions.

Unfortunately, we all drifted apart. Gradually, the time that everyone was able to spend online tapered off and a few people died. But I still manage to keep in touch with a few.

The boards are great because we only need spend a few minutes each day, whenever we have the time, to catch up on things. But it takes a lot longer to get to know people.

Some Of My Thoughts

First, agreed with all of what you have said here.

Second, One of my interests of lingering at the bookforum is that I enjoy guessing and creating a picture of how each one is like according to their sporadic postings. What is her/his personlity? what does he/she look like? is he/she so sarcastic, funny, humorous in real life? it is her/his tendency to be judgemental, shrewd? blah,blah,blah...

I agreed very much with Mort on this, "But it takes a lot longer to get to know people".

Third,
The other day, I just thought how would it be wonderful if there was no abuse--anykind, mental, physical--, no violence, no those negative (or "BAd") in this world. But i just came to a conclusion that so what? if we live so peacefully, everything in harmoney. so? it seems that everything comes with an happy end. and then have to admit that this is the life that is supposed to be.
. :p

I think it is a wonderful thing, too, and I am not surprised by the friendships formed here. I am part of an online quilting message board and I have personally been involved in many touching moments that originated on that board, from a cross-country traveller being put up for a night or two in a fellow quilter's home, to many individuals contributing time and materials to make a quilt for a sick friend or one that suffered a great loss. Whether it be the love of books or the love of a particular hobby, just one piece of common ground can spark a friendship that could last a lifetime.

Back to this subject, I do amaze with internet everyday something new we learned. I enjoy to make new mates from around the world. Also we are in same interest we can talk about. When I am at work or social life, we have different interests, I talked to my mates about books which they aren't interested in. Luckily i have two of my mates who likes to read so I can talk to them. Also sometimes I looked at your recommends in the books so I can bought as well.

Back