• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

[b]Dreamscapes, One Persons Dreams[/b]

klemske

Seventh/Eighth

I was exiting work when the rush of panic ran through my body, the feeling you get when you know you forgot something and it hits you all at once. I forgot my cell phone, keys, and my id badge on my desk. Now I would have no phone or any way to get into work in the mourning. Thank god I keep an extra set of keys on me. I turned around and looked at the nine story Regis Inc. building know that there was no way of getting back in, a plus of working the afternoon shift.

I had no choice but to say screw it, it was already a bad enough day the way it was, like I really wanted to go back in there any ways. I headed toward my car only to notice my father pull up to me. He came and talked to me for a several minutes and he took off. At least I didn’t have the embarrassment of him finding out. I hopped into my car with my spare set of keys and started off toward home. I glance around to check the intersection and noticed something in my center armrest console. As I shuffled through it I notice some papers, pictures and my id badge. There’s one less problem.

I awoke the next day as in any normal day in my life. Got up, showered and shaved and watched the news for about five minutes. As I glanced up, the clock caught my eye revealing that I was going to be late for work. I grabbed my keys and wallet and headed out the door.

I made it to work with the time to spare, locked my car and proceeded to head in the building. I greeted the receptionist and jumped in the open elevator. As I leaned forward I noticed floor seven was on the wall twice, once by itself and once with the eighth floor listed with it. Another person came in and hit floor five, as the elevator doors started to close I had to hit a floor so I hit the seven button figuring that had to be correct. The lady glanced over at me and started dancing, so I joined in, next thing I knew I heard the ding, the doors opened for the fifth floor and she exited leaving me alone in the elevator. The elevator doors closed and it headed back up.

The doors opened and I noticed I was on an un-familiar floor so I got back in and check the number, seventh floor. I hit the button for seventh/eighth floor and waited for the doors to close. The elevator traveled about two floors, for what I could tell. The doors opened and I exited the elevator. I looked around and realized I was on the floor with the restaurants and stores for workers in the building. I was going to get on the elevator again but I knew I was only one floor off and didn’t trust it anymore.

I started toward the restaurants thinking there would have to be a stairway located somewhere on the floor. I walked a ways and never noticed one stairwell or even a sign for them. I decided to head into the pizza place hoping there would be a stairwell in there.

It was a long slender restaurant; only about ten feet wide but so deep that I couldn’t even see the rear of the restaurant. I started toward the back figuring that would be the place for the stairs. The front section was the kitchen and for ordering mainly. I walked through it getting to the next section where everyone sat and ate. I looked up and saw a stairwell down. Excited I headed for it and as I got to it I realized it was blocked, every step had a table and two chairs facing each other on it. There was no room at all on the sides of the table; they were but against the walls perfectly. There is no way I was going to be able to get down the steps. As I crossed into the next section of the restaurant I saw another stairwell going down, but this one was going the other way. As I approached it I noticed the same thing again, blocked by tables. I couldn’t go down it.

I decided to head back to the elevator and give that another try. As I was leaving I saw the cook, I leaned over the counter and asked the cook how to get to the stairs. He laughed at my question as if it was the easiest thing in the world. Then a puzzled look came over his face. He told me he wasn’t sure, that he was having brain freeze, and just pointed toward the east side of the floor, he said that was the best he could do and he was sorry.

Puzzled by why a person that works here every day can not get to work one day and then why another person that works here every day doesn’t know where the stairs are for his floor. I continued toward the elevator, I glanced back at the cook, he still had a puzzled look on his face, just then I bumped into a gentleman causing him to drop his briefcase. I helped him and asked him then how to find the stairwell. He too got the same grin on his face, followed by the same look of puzzlement. He told me he usually takes the elevator and rushed off.

I decided I have had it; I am not going to try to figure this out. I headed for the elevator, and waited for it to come up. I entered the elevator hitting the button for the main floor. As the doors opened I exited the building heading straight for my car. I didn’t think about a thing on the way home. As I got home I threw my jacket off and went back to bed.

Back