• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Backpacking

blurricus

Does anyone here backpack? Camp? Climb?

Just curious. I am an avid backpacker, and have been looking for a good backpacking forum. I found this forum instead though, and was very excited since I am also an avid reader.

blurricus said:

Just curious. I am an avid backpacker, and have been looking for a good backpacking forum. I found this forum instead though, and was very excited since I am also an avid reader.

Funny you should post this today..I was looking for walking groups in Kansas and did a google search " walking Kansas' and found www.walkingconnection.com -enter your state and see if there's a site for your locale. The site is full of all sorts of interesting looking links, and I'm willing to bet there's a forum or two lurking somewhere. What I was really looking for was www.walkkansas.org that I had seen in my local paper.

I like to camp. I camped on the Outer Banks in North Carolina last year, but it was a state campground (ie not very rural), I had food poisoning and it was so rainy we almost floated away. I'd like to try to do some real camping this summer, but I'm not sure it will happen.

I can't wait to backpack around the world when I'm older! Me and my friends have an obsession!
PM me! Where abouts have you backpacked and travelled to?

Lani

Strange, from where I am, you backpack when you're young. That's because if you're lucky enough to study overseas (i.e Europe) in your university years, then people tend to take that time while they are there to travel the place by backpacking. It saves on the airfare (considerable where I come from) and is a great way to see the sights. Unfortunately, I didn't backpack, and while I did see quite a few places, it was within England (and Paris).

I would have loved to travel Europe... Italy, Scotland, more of France, Turkey, etc...

Now that we're well and truly stuck in the rat race, changes of me going on a backpack is remote, what with the commitments I have...

:(

ds

I get the urge, every so often to throw a few things into a backpack and head of to the nearest airport/train station.

Earlier this year I was in Scotland for about two weeks. Last year I spent just over 2 months backpacking across India and about four weeks in Thailand. Amazing experiences.

I still have some places I want to see in England & Scotland yet so i'll 'finish' them first before I head out of the country again.

Haven't camped since boy scouts. Hiking would be fun to do, but kind of hard when you're living on the great plains.:D I do enjoy long walks though.:)

never been camping....I'm just not very "outdoorsy" *shudders* at the thought of sleeping outside

Work? whats's that

direstraits:

blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah

Sorry, retracting post. :(

:D :D

Actually my secret is; I believe in the 'the more you do today the less you have to do tomorrow' school of thought. For me it's tomorrow now, so I can take it a little easy :p

gem - excellent outlook on life. The situation with me is the moment I stop earning I'm going to be in trouble. So I cannot have a meaningful backpacking experience unless I get strike a lottery number, and soon.

:)

ds

p.s. btw, just to clarify: my blah-blah post is not a response to your 'what's work' post. I really made a mistake while commenting something, and saw that it's irrelevant.

direstraits,
The situation with me is the moment I stop earning I'm going to be in trouble. So I cannot have a meaningful backpacking experience unless I get strike a lottery number, and soon

It's only a matter of time, then you'll work your way out of the rat race. You can't see it yet, but it'll happen. Oh and you gotta buy a lottery ticket to win :D

I really made a mistake while commenting something, and saw that it's irrelevant.

That happens to me too,but i only realise it's irrelevant when i come back to read the thread and it's too late to edit. :rolleyes:

As far as I know, no one ever on their deathbed, wished they spent another day and extra hours at the office. Then again, I could be wrong.

I like camping and hiking, we do quite a bit of it but my husband is a bit more hardcore than I, he'll often hike, climb, snowshoe with his friend while I set up camp and hang around the campsite.

Posted By blurricus

I go on several hiking trips a year. Most of my fathers family hike, Kayak and climb. I am the only one that mountain bikes. We log about 100 to 200 miles a year on overnight (large backpacks) or multinight hikes. You can add another 100 miles when counting dayhikes (small pack/water).

I also enjoy trail running.

One of my goals is to backpack in the U.K. Any suggestions?

SFG75 said:
As far as I know, no one ever on their deathbed, wished they spent another day and extra hours at the office. Then again, I could be wrong.
Scott, you're wrong. When that time comes, I'm sure I'll be wishing for another day in the office as I want to give that sonovab**h a piece of my mind!

:D

ds

I've been backpacking around the world a couple of times now. I love it. although I think I won't be able to travel long-term for a while now.
there are many sites out there on backpacking, some are just concentrating on one country only.

well, in case anybody wants more info on backpacking. I have a website with tons of pictures from my travels:

http://www.neo-hippy.com

Back