• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bad habits!

sanyuja

Do you have any bad habit that spoils your book?
I have a few. I use a pen/pencil as a bookmarker. I keep it inside the book and it spoils the book binding. :(
If I dont have a pen/pencil in hand, then I keep the book upside down so that I know where I left off. Even this harms the book. :(
When I was very young I used to give my books dog-ears. But, now I have got rid of that habit. :D

My only bad habit it trying to do EVERYTHING whilst reading a book. I cook, eat, walk (sometimes) chop vegies, empty the dishwasher, etc. I drop things including my book a lot because I cannot do the other job with only the hanh that isn't clasping the book.

By far, my worst habit when it comes to reading is staying up too late at night. I don't have enough time during the day, so I make up for it by staying up until 1:00 or 2:00 some nights. I always pay for it the next day!

But as for doing something to the book itself, I'm a pretty big perfectionist when it comes to keeping the pages clean and straight, not writing in them, and not getting anything on the covers. I guess the worst thing I do is occasionally get fingernail polish marks on the pages, especially if I'm wearing red polish!

sweetsymphony said:
By far, my worst habit when it comes to reading is staying up too late at night.
I dont call it a bad habit. Staying up late for watching television is a bad habit. You can read wherever and whenever you want! :D

I agree, sanyuja, television rots the brain! I tape a few shows during the week and watch them Friday night. That's the only night I don't read at least 2 hours (never mind lunchtimes, mornings, etc.).

I have a habit of reading to excess, well into the night or at the expense of doing something else that i really should be doing - you know, working, studying, feeding the dogs, that sort of thing :D

Ice, on the other hand, has a very bad habit of skim reading a few chapters and then flicking to the end to read the last chapter - this annoys the hell out of me but doesnt seem to bother her in the least! :p

Phil

phil_t said:
Ice, on the other hand, has a very bad habit of skim reading a few chapters and then flicking to the end to read the last chapter - this annoys the hell out of me but doesnt seem to bother her in the least! :p

Phil

:eek: Oh the humanity!!! How can she?????

I had a friend that used to do something similar. He used to buy a book and immediately read the last chapter :confused:

phil_t said:
I have a habit of reading to excess, well into the night or at the expense of doing something else that i really should be doing - you know, working, studying, feeding the dogs, that sort of thing :D
Phil
I always get scoldings for doing this! I delay taking bath, having lunch, going out -- just to read a book. My mom gets so wild sometimes, she says she will cook a nice book for me for a meal :D

Bad habit of mine is ... I buy books ... buy them numerous. Inspite of that I read from PDA, I buy them. Yesterdey bought the 2001 book in my own collection. :)

You know what you should do, Rustam? Take a picture of your library and post it in a thread. I wanted to start a thread where people post pictures of their libraries, but I'm not due to shift in for another 2 months at least.

ds

Rustam said:
Yesterdey bought the 2001 book in my own collection. :)
I ONLY got 95 books.

*cry*

I read when I am actually supposed to be studying, which is a very very very bad thing.

direstraits said:
You know what you should do, Rustam? Take a picture of your library and post it in a thread. I wanted to start a thread where people post pictures of their libraries, but I'm not due to shift in for another 2 months at least.

ds

Ok! Start new thread, or place picture here? :D

I read when I am actually supposed to be studying.
I am always do like that :)

i guess my bad habits are that i start reading the book and in the middle i read the last page, mostly not enough to spoil the book, but people always get mad at me!! yeah and the other one is, that i take it everywhere i go!!! school, bathtab, dinner...sometimes i walk too!! down the stairs in the kitchen, get coffee, back to the couch!! :D

Reading and eating

I like to read whilst I'm eating a meal so I have the book balanced near my plate, trying to keep it open, usually by placing the TV remote control across it. It invariably gets food stains and crumbs on it, or one of my cats walks across it with muddy paws when he's trying to steal my meal. But, who cares? Books are meant to be read and thumbed and used. It's a crime to see a book which doesn't look as if it's been touched!

ah, reading and eating! I read once that the worst thing you can do is develop the habit of eating while you read. I have to have something to eat while I'm reading! The worst thing to eat while reading is pizza, IMO.

I must say that there is a difference between abusing a book and reading it. I can buy a book new, read it and probably be able to sell it as new. I love books too much to do anything nasty to them.

It;s like eating with a loved one and strapping one of those trays over ther chests whilst they're laying on the floor, letting food trickle all over them. It's wrong!

Oooh, thats another of Ice's annoying habits!! (Shes gonna start getting mad with me if I keep posting these up!!) - She's like the Book Protection Police, she keeps all hers in pristine condition and I'm not allowed to read them because I'd 'ruin the spine' - my books all have cracks down the spines, and the odd food and drink stain here or there, hers we could open a bookstore with and sell as brand new :D

Phil

Back