• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barnes and Noble's Nook

Manny Bullpucky

Hey, has everyone heard of the new e-reader from Barnes and Noble? I'm toying with the idea of getting one when they come out. Apparently it has the capability to lend books and free connectivity.

It allows memory expansion. So with a 16 gig micro sd, you can store up to 17,000!!! (yes, seventeen thousand) ebooks on there.

The readers are better than I thought they would be when I first saw them, and if I had a choice, I'd definitely go with this one over the Kindle. That's hypothetical, though, it'll take the abolition of books to get me to lay down print.

Also, I read some time ago that Amazon reached over their vast network and deleted all copies of Nineteen Eighty-Four from all Kindles, as they were purchased from a non-amazon publisher or something. That's rather George Orwell-ian...

Apparently it has the capability to lend books and free connectivity.

And apparently, several publishers have pulled out of that offer for fear that readers might use the lending function to *gasp* lend books to each other. Because clearly, if you want people to buy e-books for $35, the best way to do this is to severely limit what you can do with the book and offer a worse product.

Publishers crippled the Nook? Don’t like the lending feature | TeleRead: Bring the E-Books Home

I'm so pissed to be an early Kindle user--I knew it was a bad idea for my husband to buy something in the first generation. I had a split second thought to return it at it's arrival, but decided against it. Now I'm kicking myself for it. I cannot justify buying a Nook at this time--it's too bad

i just recieved my kindle 2 and it might be the greatest tech purchase of my life. i have done all the research and believe me the nook can not touch the the kindle2. hands down winner, price+ease of use+and comfort

if you want an mp3 player get an mp3 player. the kindle and the nook are ereaders and thats what they are for. and amazon ebooks are cheaper then barnes and noble books.

In-depth four page Nook review.

The bottom line from page 4.

For book lovers who have decided to go digital–and the people who love them and want to give them gifts–the question remains: Should you buy a Nook, a Kindle, a Sony Reader, or something else? Unless you absolutely must put an e-reader under the Christmas Tree, my advice is to postpone the decision. But only a little. The Nook has the potential to decisively trump the Kindle, but I want to see if Barnes & Noble’s upcoming software update fixes the issues I encountered before I declare any winners. (Besides, you can’t buy a Nook today and receive it in time for the holidays; if the device appeals to you, patience will be required no matter what.)

There are other reasons to bide your time a bit longer before you snap up any e-reader. At least two known major e-reader players aren’t quite here yet: Sony’s Reader Daily Edition (which will ship before Christmas) and Plastic Logic’s QUE (which will be unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in January and may ship soon thereafter–whereupon it’ll be sold in Barnes & Noble stores alongside the Nook). Then there’s the 800-pound gorilla that hasn’t yet entered the room: the alleged Apple tablet that could be an exceptional e-reader…if it ever turns out to actually exist, that is.

E-reader buyers, in other words, are confronted by the same happy dilemma that almost always confronts tech shoppers: a choice between buying now, or waiting for upcoming products that are inevitably cooler (and, most likely, cheaper). No matter how Barnes & Noble’s ambitious plans for the Nook pan out, one thing seems clear: 2010 will be the most exciting year for digital books so far.

Best part of the article is this nifty comparison chart.
nook.jpg

The book readers for me still haven't got low enough in price to justify owning one. By the time you buy the reader and then the books you could have built a library of several hundred books.

The book readers for me still haven't got low enough in price to justify owning one. By the time you buy the reader and then the books you could have built a library of several hundred books.

And that, my dear booktags, is my #1 issue with them.

I'm just excited about my Nook. I've been waiting for a gadget like that one all-my-life. I'm just excited.

I'm just excited about my Nook. I've been waiting for a gadget like that one all-my-life. I'm just excited.

When you get it, feel free to put a review of it in the general book discussion area.

Also, why a Nook and not a Kindle?

Back