• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bartimaeus

Firestrom223 said:
I was wondering if anyone has read this book by Jonathan Stroud and if so what their opinions were on it.
Bartimaeus is a character and the name of the trilogy, but not the name of a book (unless is the third, that has not been published).

Do you mean [/B]The Amulet of Samarkand or The Golem's Eye?

I like the Amulet and Bartimaeus as a character. I like the way it makes fun of magicians, after all those books where magicians are so full of themselves (and they are on this one too, but not everybody agrees that they are so wonderful) and the fact that there is a resistance to their rule by normal people. In many children's books characters are good or bad, here they are normal and Bartimaeus' irony is also unusual in this type of books.

I reviewed Stroud's Amulet of Samarkand here. I have read worse (which I will get to shortly) but I didn't really enjoy, compared to some other works directed at juveniles like works by Pullman, Nix, or Barker's Abarat novels.

Going back to the worst statement, I just thought Eragon was one of the worst books I have ever read - and is prime example of the majortiy of problems that plague fantasy. Terruble writing, unimaginative, deivative, and formulaic. I found nothing to like about it on any level. That said, no wonder why it was a maisntream hit, and a financial success.

OMG, i love this trilogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah, lol, sorry. the 3rd book, ptolemy's gate, just came out and i have yet to read it, but i read the other 2 in, like, a week!! i love this series! it's really worth it!

What is the name of the third book? TheAofS and TheGE were really enjoyable, following along similar lines to Harry Potter; wizards and mystical beings exist in modern life, but have lives of secrecy. I went to one of Stroud's talk at the Edinburgh Book Festival, he seemed much more kind and gentle in real life - without such sharp wit - not to say he is stupid -.

I just wonered - is "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" scary?
Or is it not scarier than Eragon or Hobbit (which are completely not scary on my "scary scale") ?

I reviewed Stroud's Amulet of Samarkand here. I have read worse (which I will get to shortly) but I didn't really enjoy, compared to some other works directed at juveniles like works by Pullman, Nix, or Barker's Abarat novels.
Going back to the worst statement, I just thought Eragon was one of the worst books I have ever read - and is prime example of the majortiy of problems that plague fantasy. Terruble writing, unimaginative, deivative, and formulaic. I found nothing to like about it on any level. That said, no wonder why it was a maisntream hit, and a financial success.

Well. man, with such an attitude I guess you could be a good prototype of a Shade :D
Or are you an avatar of Drakula or something?

Lov

I LOVE this books I don't even want them to b made into movies because i am afraid who ever does will ruin them.

Back