• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Battle of the Sexes

ControlArmsNow

:confused: Prospect magazine have just issued a list of Britain's top 100 intellectuals. I won't post it here but you can see it for yourself at http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/HtmlPages/intellectuals.asp. What struck me about the list was that it contains the names of only 12 women. Do you think this accurately reflects the reality?
I think it's been proven that girls are much higher achievers than boys at school age, so is there some reason, perhaps sociological, that prevents women reaching the very top in intellectual fields? Or could there simply be a male bias in the criteria used to assemble this list?
Whose missing? There's no room for Helena Kennedy, Harriet Harman, Antonia Fraser, Suzanne Moore or even Litany!
As you can see, this issue raises more questions than it answers, so what do you all think? :confused:

I'm sure the "glass ceiling" is still in effect in a number of industries - but a lot of it may be that, even in my comparatively young generation, girls are conditioned to take a supporting role, and not brag about their accomplishments. Sociological change is a very slow process, and we've still got a way to go on this particular issue, in much more subtle ways.

ControlArmsNow said:
There's no room for Helena Kennedy, Harriet Harman, Antonia Fraser, Suzanne Moore or even Litany!
Are you telling me I'm not on the list? :mad:

Besides, what is an intellectual but someone full of ideas but without the gumption to act on them? No, us women are too busy off doing Important Things to be sitting around contemplating our belly buttons. I don't have the time to philosophise about how to improve the lot of the people, I have sporks to sharpen and shoes to buy.

Back