• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Behaviour of the faceless man.

hay82

Behaviour of the faceless man or woman.

I've just finished writing a report(not sure thats what its called) about democracy and we had a part in it about how the internet could be used for democratic purposes. The part about the internet focused on forums as a possible democratic gain, with its possiblity for debate.
Since we are completly new at making such report, we didn't make our own investigationof it, but had to base it on other peoples work. We found a report by some proffesor thingy saying that the current forums weren't ready yet. Since people where anonymous they where more inclined to flaming people if they didn't agree and that people often went of topic(never happend here).
And now I have arived at my question. How much different do you think you act on the book forum than you would face to face with a person?

wow, what a good question! :)

I think this one really depends on the person. For me, I think I am totally the same on here as I am in person. Scary, huh? :D I guess that's why some people find me very odd because I say things that normally people would only type. I don't act or talk any differntly online to how I act and talk in person.

I think though I do come across a little different on here. A lot of people assume I am really wacky and crazy from my posts... which I can be but not constantly. I can actually be pretty quite person. I do have a very good sense of humour so that comes across in my posts but im not constantly making jokes and doing crazy stuff.

Anyway, yup. This is me. My attitude has always been to be completely myself. To be true to my heart and soul and if people like it then good and then if they don't then too bad :)

to be honest, i have no idea!!
i think the only thing, what is different in my personality in here is, that i normally speak about everything and nothing, but in here i prefer to talk about books and music, instead of history and so!!
but otherwise i don't changed really, I mean i say what i want, whenever i want it, even if it's totally crap! thats me in person!!
so be yourself and enjoy it!! be proud of who you are, nobody is like you!!
bye
P.S. nice question anyway, good to think about!!

hay82 said:
Since people where anonymous they where more inclined to flaming people if they didn't agree and that people often went of topic(never happend here).
And now I have arived at my question. How much different do you think you act on the book forum than you would face to face with a person?
I'm pretty much myself on the book forum - though probably not as reserved in person. :D Doesn't seem to be much point trying to be something different - way too hard to keep up.

Agree with your comment about anonymity. It seems to encourage some people to be ruder or nastier than they would in a face to face situation.

Martin said:
Same as Ashlea - this is me, thought somewhat less restained, maybe.

Cheers
Ashlea? Where's Ashlea? 'Twas me! :D
(Yeah, I know. All we moderators look alike.)

Here I am! I pretty much am the same I think, tho in person I have the disadvantage of zoning off frequently and not paying attention to what is going on around me, which doesn't come thru on a forum.

I've been in other forums that are not very carefully monitored where there exist a lot of internet bullies. It's a real disadvantage to communication. It's especially difficult on forums (and in email, instant messaging, etc.) that you don't have the tone of voice when someone is "speaking", which leads to the occasional misunderstanding.

That is a good question! For me, I'm pretty much the same person in real life as in the forums. Maybe a touch less personal, because I don't like the idea of perfect strangers reading the intimate details of my private life (Those crazy Google Spiders).

I think it's easier to be rude and obnoxious on the internet because you have total anonymity. You don't have to worry about what your friends will think or if it will affect your reputation at all.

dele said:
I think it's easier to be rude and obnoxious on the internet because you have total anonymity. You don't have to worry about what your friends will think or if it will affect your reputation at all.

Had thought the same, that i could curse, and behave as if i were a vicious person. It just couldn't work!

To answer my own question.
I think that I am very much myself here :)eek: oh the horror). There are the unavoidable differences, having more time to think of an answer must change something, if not how I am then at least how I am perceived.
I have noticed that I tend to take peoples avatars into my perception of people, does anyone do the same?

I have that, yes. I first see the avatar, and then (if at all neccesary) I see the membername.

Cheers

Me too. In one part of my mind I know that you guys look quite different than your avatars, but when I see your posts I can picture the words coming from the picture. Like a hyeractive bunny in Wabbit's case. :)

hay82 said:
I have noticed that I tend to take peoples avatars into my perception of people, does anyone do the same?
What do you do when people change avatars? Does your perception change? I've had 4 or 5 different avatars since I joined - currently back to my 2nd one.

Ell said:
What do you do when people change avatars? Does your perception change? I've had 4 or 5 different avatars since I joined - currently back to my 2nd one.
Can see that you have just changed it... and yes I would say my perception has changed, can't really explain how... :confused:

replied a lot, but this comupter seemed not like to cooperate. k, something about what i have typed:

I did the same, fancying what the person would be like in real life who was behind that little avatar. If the avatar of some member has changed, i would get the idea/perception spontaneously that something about him/her has been undergone a change.

As for the avatars, I found that I could react in a sortof negative way to those eye---avatars, especially when i first saw them and didnot know anything about the person based on their posts. Perhaps it was just me.

some member here still remain mysterious to me. and I wondered whether anyother members found someone who seems particularly draw your attention, or intrigue your curiosity?

PS: Ell, yah, your current avatar indicated a bit of grace, a bit of reservation, a bit of femininty, a bit of tranquility. ermm, it said that you wanted to block out the noises outside, and to have a peace, beautiful time by yourself. :p

watercrystal said:
As for the avatars, I found that I could react in a sortof negative way to those eye---avatars, especially when i first saw them and didnot know anything about the person based on their posts. Perhaps it was just me.
:eek:

watercrystal said:
some member here still remain mysterious to me. and I wondered anyother members found someone who seems particularly draw your attention, or intrigue your curiosity?
There are certain members that draw my attention more that others,and there are members I feel more on level with than others. I would think that most people have it that way.

Back