• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Benjamin Carson: Gifted Hands

abecedarian

Very enjoyable read. Fascinating story of a poor ghetto kid who grew up to become a world-reknown neurosurgeon. I appreciated Carson's humble attitude about his successes, and how he still mourns the losses. Dr. Carson attributes his success to valuable lessons his mother drilled into him and his brother, and to his strong Christian faith. I finished the book wishing he lived next door so we could talk about life and stuff. I am looking forward to reading his latest book, America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great.

I've seen his books pop up a lot on amazon, he is getting a lot of positive coverage. I would recommend Thomas Sowell's The quest for cosmic justice. Sowell highlights how in many countries, ethnic minorities outperform the majority due to certain values and skills that are taught to the youth and that certain problems that we have in America, are hardly unique due to mindset.

I know I need to read Thomas Sowell; he's been popping up on my radar for several years. Might be time to bite the bullet..

You would be proud abecedarian! I went to the library last night and checked out a Ben Carson book. I picked up Take the risk. While there is fascinating medical descriptions of separating conjoined people, the larger point about taking risks made the book a good one. I'm fifty pages into it and he definitely draws you in while describing a dangerous, complicated surgery that did not turn out well and how people asked him afterwards as to why he would take such a risk.

About to turn the coffee pot on and continue reading........

You would be proud abecedarian! I went to the library last night and checked out a Ben Carson book. I picked up Take the risk. While there is fascinating medical descriptions of separating conjoined people, the larger point about taking risks made the book a good one. I'm fifty pages into it and he definitely draws you in while describing a dangerous, complicated surgery that did not turn out well and how people asked him afterwards as to why he would take such a risk.

About to turn the coffee pot on and continue reading........
I AM proud! I haven't heard of this one. Sounds like another one for my ever-growing Amazon wish list...

Back