• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bentley Little

reading

It is my humble opinion that Bently Little is probably one of, if not the best psychological horror writers around. Don't believe me? Read "Dispatch" and get back to me.

I'm more of a Bentley Little fan myself ;). I've only read three of his books, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call him the best in the horror genre, his books can become quite addictive.

I've read some of his books and like him, but the one that we joke about in my family is The Store. Read it, and see what store it reminds you of...

You know what? I've read a few Bently Little books but I havn't gotten to that one yet. Thats ne xt.
Incidently, I reading a book by Owl Goingback Yeha thats his name. The books called BREED It's another ghost story. I'm in the middle of it now so no opinion untill I'm done

But please tell me, who is the best in the genre?

I'd say Poppy Z. Brite, but you'd probably question that. I myself am not sure if she is "the best in the genre" (especially since she doesn't write as much horror fiction) but her name was the first that came to mind. Honestly, I couldn't tell you who was the best at writing horror.

But enough from me... who do you think is the best in the genre?

I'd say there is no best. They each write their different ways and bring their different takes to the table.

Poppy Z. Brite. I'm not familier with her, so ofcourse I'm gonna check her out. I'm a voracious reader. I love to discover new talent.
Right now, my vote for "best" goes to Bently Little. The guy "freaks me out".

reading said:
Poppy Z. Brite. I'm not familier with her, so ofcourse I'm gonna check her out. I'm a voracious reader. I love to discover new talent.

Poppy Z. Brite wrote three horror novels (Lost Souls, Drawing Blood, and Exquisite Corpse), with two short story anthologies (Swamp Foetus* and Self Made Man), a couple of collaborations with Christ Faust, and one of those The Crow spinoff novels. A few other novellas too. She used to write for Cemetery Dance in the US too but gave it up a number of years ago as she no longer wanted to write horror and has, instead, gone off to write about a gay couple who run a restaurant in New Orleans (The Value of X, Liquid, and another that I can't quite remember).

I can't honestly remember it that much, but it was alright. It features a couple of recurring characters in Brite's fiction so may be a good place.

Drawing Blood was a good one. Sadly I don't remember much about it, but I know I really enjoyed the main characters in that one (more so than the ones in Lost Souls).

As to her current line of work, her restaurant series consists of:

-Liquor

-Prime

-Soul Kitchen

-Dead Shrimp Blues (to be released next year). About as far from her early work as you can get, but just as entertaining.

Back to the topic at hand, I may start The Ignored soon. Did you read that one yet?

Back to the topic at hand, I may start The Ignored soon. Did you read that one yet?
I think that one is his best. It's a departure from his usual formula of taking the mundane(mailman, Walmart, vacation resorts, insurance companies, homeowners associations) and making them evil.

I can't recommend highly enough Ketchum's The Girl Next Door and Off Season. I think those are his best. Both are graphic and unsettling.

Back