• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

best concert

jenn

talking to ritalin kid made me think of this. what is the best concert you've ever been to and what would be your dream concert?

i haven't been to many concerts, but i would say the best i ever saw was the paul simon concert born at the right time tour. i saw him in old orchard beach maine( i met stephen king buying tickets) it was an outdoor concert and he had a huge band with him and the sound was incredible. i was 17 and was with my boyfriend(husband) and our best friends jon and steph. we had spent the day on the boardwalk and swimming so we were covered in sand and sunburnt and we didn't have a care. we danced like crazy people and i think, i think he encored with you can call me al. he opened with obvious child that has that wild drum bit in the middle. it was great.

and still i am hoping to see dave. my whole family has seen him and it has not happened yet for me. ideally i would love to see the concert at the gorge which is a 3 day event.
i once had tickets to see the dave matthews band, but it was at the beginning of my love affair and so did not make every effort to go and wound up giving them to a busker. but what goes around comes around and 3 weeks later we got free tickets to see the chilli peppers and had awesome seats.

Apologies for being so totally predictable, but the best concert I've seen was Morrissey at Bridlington Spa in September last year. The man himself was in a chatty mood, making jokes about whether anyone famous comes from Bridlington etc., he was really charming. The set was awesome - kicking off with How Soon Is Now?, showcasing most of You Are The Quarry and finishing with his usual encore of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. I much preferred this set list to the one in Birmingham in December, where he relied too much on B-sides and was nowhere near as chatty (but of course it was still excellent!) :)

Robbie Williams

Summer 2003 - Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna - 65.000 people - Front Row

That guy is an awesome entertainer.

Aerosmith, the day before my Government final exam last year (May 2004), Evansville Indiana. It was great!! It was my first rock concert, I had only been to country before then, and it was a whole different atmosphere and I loved every minute of it!! And I ended up with a B in Government, so I was happy about two things - the concert and my grade!

Okay, I am totally showing my old age here, but the best concert I ever went to was The Grateful Dead in August 1979. My friend and I hitched out to Red Rocks, Colorado, and saw the Dead at the outdoor amphitheater carved into stone. Talk about stone . . . well, never mind. Anyway, I saw all these people I knew there who I never expected to see, we had front bench as we were there like a week early and camped out. I levitated, I swear. Jerry was in best form then. Twas wicked.

Other good shows:
Hot Tuna in ’77;
Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park, what was it, 1980? with about a zillion people I knew;
Ramones at CBGBs, which was really just a show not a concert, but one for the annals;
Patti Smith at CBGBs, another kickin show; and
Miles Davis on the West Side piers in NYC, must’ve been about ’83, and
Doc Cheatham’s 80th Birthday at Sweet Basil in about 87, when every jazz musician in NY showed up unannounced and jammed all day and night at what was supposed to be a two hour show;
Joe Jackson at the Peppermint Lounge about ’82,
Johnny Cash in some joint on Long Island, and
every year I invite a gang up to go to a great bluegrass festival on a farm near my house where I’ve seen Doc Watson, Jorma, Ralph Stanley, Dave Grisman, and the late great Bill Monroe.

I generally hate big arena concerts. I much prefer outdoor shows and nightclubs. I've seen great people in big arenas, but it takes something away.

My sis and I had a business in high school making silk-screened T-shirts of performers and selling them outside Madison Square Garden before the shows. Best one ever was the Saturate Before Using shirt for Jackson Browne. My sister is an awesome artist and did the mylar screens herself.

Toad the Wet Sprocket, reunion tour, 2003, Chicago. Small club (<=1500 audience), nice...

They were my favorite band, and I had passed on the opportunity to go to their 1998/1999 New Year's Eve show. A month later, they broke up. So when they reunited....ahh, sweet bliss.

of course, sonic youth at the majestic theater in detroit, my 21st birthday. thurston was acting squirrely. stuck his guitar down his pants and hit the distortion pedal. the sound was a swift kick in the balls.

at SARSstock, the flaming lips played one of the best sets, ever.

You know, I really haven't been to many concerts. I went to RockFest back when I was in college and got to see Collective Soul (I really liked their part), Matchbox 20, Paula Cole, and a bunch of other people I just can't remember now. That whole day is a blur now though.

The one concert I really wanted to go to this past year, but it sold out in 30 minutes was Cher! Yep! I've never been into Cher's music, but I had a friend in Dallas who said her concerts are so much fun because of all the costume changes and glitzy stuff and I just think that would have been a blast to have gone to!

I think I'm going to have to declare a tie:

One was Cowboy Junkies at the Whitaker Center (a nice, small-ish, acoustically perfect little arena) for the Open tour; the other has to be Hot Tuna two years ago at the same venue. They had a mandolin player with them and they were smokin'.

I also really enjoyed Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer (same venue) and Elvis Costello at Madison Square Garden many years ago.

The show I'd like to see:
I'd really like to see Gov't Mule and would have loved seeing Dave Grisman and Jerry Garcia play together.

funes said:
I think I'm going to have to declare a tie:

One was Cowboy Junkies at the Whitaker Center (a nice, small-ish, acoustically perfect little arena) for the Open tour; the other has to be Hot Tuna two years ago at the same venue. They had a mandolin player with them and they were smokin'.

I also really enjoyed Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer (same venue) and Elvis Costello at Madison Square Garden many years ago.

The show I'd like to see:
I'd really like to see Gov't Mule and would have loved seeing Dave Grisman and Jerry Garcia play together.

Hey funes,

I love Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer! Met Jorma last year at the Winterhawk BG festival, got his signature on my cowboy hat! He's a dude. I've seen Hot Tuna lots of times and also Jorma on his own, once in a really small club in NY. It was fantastic. Saw Grisman two years ago at Winterhawk where he gave a mandolin workshop.

Also would have loved to see Old and In the Way, but missed them. In high school I used to see a BG band called the Outta Hand String Band that covered all the Old and In the Way tunes awesomely.

See ya! :D

--I'm not really a concert crazy person,if there's any international artist I've seen in concert,it's none other than Air Supply,other than that,just a few local artist in the Phils. which obviously,none of you ever heard of. ;)

novella said:
I generally hate big arena concerts.

Me too, and I avoid them wherever possible, but I did make an exception for Peter Gabriel at Wembley Arena last year for the last two nights of the Still Growing Up tour. Second row tickets on the penultimate night, front row tickets on the last (!). Without a doubt the best show I've ever been to, the man is a master, but then I am horribly biased when it comes to PG as those who know me will confirm :D

Whoever it was said they saw Maiden at Donnington - I saw them again in a big arena, the NEC, on the 93 tour and yes, they're damned good live. I would have much preferred to see them in a small venue, though. (And I would have loved to see Bruce Dickinson carry on with the direction his solo albums were taking, (Accident of Birth was excellent, and I'm sorry I didn't get to see him tour it) but such is life, I guess.)

Other rock bands whose gigs have been really good - Thunder, Terrorvision (now defunct?), and I hate to say it, Whitesnake. Probably because I had the benefit of seeing them in a small venue (and the added bonus of Tony Franklin on bass for the night - a great fretless player, which really made the gig for me).

And in the "Most surprised that I enjoyed so much" category: Heatwave, of "Boogie Nights" fame. I caught them supporting another band at a festival thing a couple of years ago and they were nuts. But, *alot* of fun and again, very good live.

Went to a concert only yesterday, by the best band our little country has. It was an excellent concert, they put on a phenomenal show.

I once went to a mini-festival, with Nada Surf, Supergrass, Coldplay and Live. Rain poured down on us all through the entire day, but it was fecking brilliant - had something to do with the company also, I assume.

The best concert of my life sofar is sure to come along July 13th or 15th, when I'll be going to see U2 in Amsterdam

Cheers

Bee Gees. Maybe I'm too young to openly admit I like them, but they were my best concert by a long-shot! :eek:

And I've been to loads like Oasis, Blur, Bon Jovi, Savage Garden, Robbie, P!nk and when I was too young to know any better...Peter Andre! :eek: :eek:

Martin said:
Went to a concert only yesterday, by the best band our little country has. It was an excellent concert, they put on a phenomenal show.

Cheers

who is it? or is that the name, "the best band our little country has"?

i saw alanis a few years ago, and the crash test dummies opened for her and they were great. funny and high energy, they covered brittany spears' hit me baby one more time and it was hilarious with brad roberts' deep, deep voice.

Martin said:

I'm curious too. I went to a Bettie Serveert Concert in February. Their show was great.

I haven't been to any concerts yet (not counting local bandnights) but I am going to see System of a Down this June! :D

starchild42 said:
Terrorvision (now defunct?)

Yes, they split up a while back. :( But I think they are getting together sometime soon to play a gig, but I don't know anything more than that. It was in Kerrang!, apparently. And my brother would certainly agree with you about Maiden!

Back